Cost Of Living 'Crisis'

44 minutes ago, ads36 said:

can't wait to re-mortgage next year, coming off our 10yr-fixed-rate. That'll be another, effective, pay cut of around £300/month.

Yup, this is what I am dreading however I have until October 2025 for things to get settled. 

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Poor contribution again.

Doesn't matter in the slightest what Angela Rayner says or what the Labour Party says,  because they are not in government so it's not them who are failing.

Your silly tory pals are in government and don't have a clue what to do,  so you are just trying to deflect attention from their failures.

How's silly Sunak coming along with stopping the boat people ?      Their numbers have gone UP again since the last time I asked.

What a Carry On.

Why is that a poor contribution? He

posted a fact on the subject being discussed. You really are a bore .

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

a teeny tiny bit, still over 6% though. Ouch.

My ~2% pay rise will no doubt bring the country to rack and ruin. 

can't wait to re-mortgage next year, coming off our 10yr-fixed-rate. That'll be another, effective, pay cut of around £300/month.

It's not evenly spread though is it. Some things have doubled in price, especially everyday food at the lower end of the scale which people have to buy on a regular basis. If it's stopped going up much in price that's good, (0% inflation) but the damage has been done, and it's certainly not coming down in price any time soon.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's not evenly spread though is it. Some things have doubled in price, especially everyday food at the lower end of the scale which people have to buy on a regular basis. If it's stopped going up much in price that's good, (0% inflation) but the damage has been done, and it's certainly not coming down in price any time soon.

I fell for it again yesterday Anna.

I check everything.

Mr. Kipling Bramley Apple Pies...

£2-50 in Morrisons...

£1-50 yesterday, I'll have some of them, same box identical...Bargain! 

Got home, the cheating gits,  the pies were half the size...

23 minutes ago, Padders said:

I check everything.

£2-50 in Morrisons...

Simple Simon met a Pie Man.  :hihi:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I check everything.

£2-50 in Morrisons...

Do you mean there were less pies in the packet? They have been 59g each since at least 2017.

It's strange to think how supermarket services have declined over the years. When I was a little girl, many supermarkets provided buses to take shoppers there and back and had a phone in the store that linked straight to taxi companies, to order a taxi. Toilet facilities were a must. Every exit had a sea of friendly cashiers to check out your shopping and make small talk, all adding to the customer experience. Any sizeable store had a cafe, run in house, not let out to the cheapest bidder, e.g. Costa. And the petrol station provided gloves, to stop customers getting their hands covered in grease.

Cut to today, the cashiers are disappearing at an alarming rate, meaning more often you have to serve yourself. If you get a salad to go, you have to go to the till and request a disposable fork, as they are kept under lock and key incase they get stolen!! 55% of the time when I can get a cashier to serve me, I don't even get a please or a thank you, just asked without fail if I have a Clubcard (spy card). It's a grim experience in supermarkets these days, the men on the meat and cheese counters seem to be disappearing, heck it's pot luck whether the shelves will even have what you want to buy anymore! The supermarkets act as though you should be grateful they let you give them your custom! It all feels worlds away from 20-30 years ago when they were climbing over each other to win your custom. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

When I was a little girl, many supermarkets provided buses to take shoppers there and back and had a phone in the store that linked straight to taxi companies, to order a taxi.

Hmm, I wonder why shops dont have this anymore, could it be anything to do with 98% of the population having a mobile phone maybe? A proper puzzler that one.

In any case my local Asda still has a phone.

Toilet facilities were a must

Plenty of supermarkets still have them. If its a dealbreaker, use one that does

Every exit had a sea of friendly cashiers to check out your shopping and make small talk, all adding to the customer experience.

Sounds awful. I want to go in and get out without engaging in inane small talk.

Any sizeable store had a cafe, run in house, not let out to the cheapest bidder, e.g. Costa

I cant think of any large supermarket in Sheffield that has an outsourced cafe. 

If you get a salad to go, you have to go to the till and request a disposable fork, as they are kept under lock and key incase they get stolen!!

Never had to ask for a special fork from the safe from Morrisons, maybe go there.

Clubcard (spy card

Zzzzzzzzzz

If you want to pay more for things, dont have one. Or, just make up a name and an email address and use it for the purpose of loyalty cards, its not tricky.

Oh no! Tesco know I buy toilet roll! Whatever will I do(?!)

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

cant think of any large supermarket in Sheffield that has an outsourced cafe. 

Tesco Millhouses - Abbeydale Road: Costa Franchise

Tesco Extra Saville Street: Costa Franchise

Tesco Rotherham Central: Costa Franchise (always closed when I have visited as well)