Cost Of Living 'Crisis'

56 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I bought a house in 1980. The mortgage interest rate went up to 15% soon after (Tories in charge again.) It was a huge struggle, and required all sorts of jiggory pokery to manage, but we did manage, just...

Now it's  totally untenable. I feel for any young person trying to live a life in Britain today.

what do you think ridiculously low interest rates and Labour induced QE, and immigration did to house prices, and inflation, and savers.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

No wonder tory supporters on here are in denial of the cost of living crisis, energy price hype, increase in mortage rises,  when their head honcho Sunak is also in denial, a Look North reporter in York to spoke buisness owners which were  closing their shops ect because of the current situation then later the reporter spoke to Sunak about the struggling buisness owners and Sunak in complete denial said buisnesses are doing well,  he is either lying or hasn't got a clue as to what is going on, not olny around the UK but in his own constituency which he cares so much about that he is off to Disney World on Holiday.  :hihi:

Is he not allowed a holiday?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

That rather depends on whether they have 'real world' experience, and the when the country is run by the elite (and I include top civil service and bankers/financiers in that,) the answer is no. They have no concept of the everyday struggles of the man in the street, and the small business owners. They excuse this with rhetoric about 'the big picture.' Well pardon me, but the welfare of the electorate should be the big picture. 

The people in charge have allowed house prices to rise unabated to unaffordable levels, and just as important, failed to provide a decent alternative to house ownership. Thus we have record levels of homelessness and small businesses failing at an unprecedented rate. This is entirely due to 13 years of Tories looking after themselves and their rich cronies. 

I bought a house in 1980. The mortgage interest rate went up to 15% soon after (Tories in charge again.) It was a huge struggle, and required all sorts of jiggory pokery to manage, but we did manage, just...

Now it's  totally untenable. I feel for any young person trying to live a life in Britain today.

off topic slightly but are you off to see your almighty leader at the Leadmill shortly?

I don't know if its been mentioned by anyone before, but back in the 1980s interest rates were at 15%, so the current generation have never had it so good.

But, it terms of cost of living, maybe its a cost of priorities.

Do you need that yaught, do you need that private jet, do you have a mercedes, why not switch to a cheap car like a VW, did you know it only costs as little as £35,000 to buy a new VW?

Do you need those holidays per year, why have 6 holidays per year, why not just have 1 per year, why not go to Tenerife instead of the Maldives?

I paid 15% interest YES 15%

And when you are paying 10 times your salary then yes you have to ask yourself "can I afford to pay for this mortgage if the cost goes from 1% to 6%".

Maybe its not sensible to pay £200,000 for a terrace house, maybe buy a terrace house for the cost of 3 mars bars like I did when I started out

53 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Wilkinsons (Wilko) on the verge of going under, I see. 

Bad management is a factor.  They sold a distribution centre last year too cheaply to DHL who made a massive profit by selling the lease to a Canadian

company.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/wilko-statement-after-distribution-centre-8048320

Edited by Axe
link

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Is he not allowed a holiday?

Is that it, WOW! Your relly picked the bones out of that post,  and no he should stay here and sort this mess out so millions of others can go on holiday.  But keep defending the Millionairs, who couldn't give a toss about you.