Cost Of Living 'Crisis'

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Cousin is a bit of a gaffer at Haymarket , about six months ago she told me about some closures . Said Haymarket and Crystal Peaks were safe but that was then .  I agree about the self serve tills . As an aside in Sainsburys today one worker to look after 16 self serve tills . Madness .

Sainsbury's is the one that asks shoppers to show their receipt in order to leave, perhaps if they put enough staff on the tills, there wouldn't be people who "forget" to scan items at the self service. 

Crystal Peaks always attracts crowds because of the facilities it has, bus station on site, toilets, plenty of benches. A lot of the big boys there have gone bust, Wilkinson's, JJB Sports, Deep Pan Pizza Co etc. Iceland is struggling too, I heard. The Market, Poundland and McDonald's won't be enough to fund that huge site. I think a cinema or some kind of big name recreation outlet could give it a boost and make up for the shortfall if Iceland goes under. 

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Sainsbury's is the one that asks shoppers to show their receipt in order to leave

Which branch in Sheffield does this please? 

Unless it's a manual check like Costco do it's pointless anyway. Someone could take 10 items to the till, pay for one, get a receipt for it and then scan that to get out. Primark in town operate a system like the latter. 

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Sainsbury's is the one that asks shoppers to show their receipt in order to leave, perhaps if they put enough staff on the tills, there wouldn't be people who "forget" to scan items at the self service. 

Crystal Peaks always attracts crowds because of the facilities it has, bus station on site, toilets, plenty of benches. A lot of the big boys there have gone bust, Wilkinson's, JJB Sports, Deep Pan Pizza Co etc. Iceland is struggling too, I heard. The Market, Poundland and McDonald's won't be enough to fund that huge site. I think a cinema or some kind of big name recreation outlet could give it a boost and make up for the shortfall if Iceland goes under. 

I've never known that in Sainsburys (receipt checking) and I use it about five times a week .

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Which branch in Sheffield does this please? 

Unless it's a manual check like Costco do it's pointless anyway. Someone could take 10 items to the till, pay for one, get a receipt for it and then scan that to get out. Primark in town operate a system like the latter. 

The branch on The Moor does and reports suggest this is a Nationwide policy. 

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The branch on The Moor does and reports suggest this is a Nationwide policy. 

I went in the Moor branch only on Wednesday (two days ago). Self scan used. Nowhere are you stopped by either a person or a machine on the way out checking you have a receipt. Sorry to disappoint. I went to Archer Road 8 days previous to this and used the self scan. Guess what? 

Edited by HeHasRisen

7 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

The Moor branch is plagued by shoplifters/ thieves .

I agree, but there is no receipt check in there as per my visit 2 days ago and actually a fortnight prior to that, either by a human or a machine. 

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I went in the Moor branch only on Wednesday (two days ago). Self scan used. Nowhere are you stopped by either a person or a machine on the way out checking you have a receipt. Sorry to disappoint. 

Just in case Irene doesn't believe I went there 2 days ago... 

Screenshot-20230804-221958.jpg

Edited by HeHasRisen

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I agree, but there is no receipt check in there as per my visit 2 days ago and actually a fortnight prior to that, either by a human or a machine. 

Just in case Irene doesn't believe I went there 2 days ago... 

Screenshot-20230804-221958.jpg

I went in there last year and there were one way systems in operation that make an alarm sound if you go out the wrong way.  There was a security man asking people to show receipts. 

I find Sainsbury's staff rude and haven't been back in since, so I cannot comment on what you experienced 2 days ago. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12042565/amp/Sainsburys-shoppers-outraged-barriers-force-scan-receipts-leave.html

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I went in there last year and there were one way systems in operation that make an alarm sound if you go out the wrong way.  There was a security man asking people to show receipts. 

I find Sainsbury's staff rude and haven't been back in since, so I cannot comment on what you experienced 2 days ago. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12042565/amp/Sainsburys-shoppers-outraged-barriers-force-scan-receipts-leave.html

I've been using that branch on the Moor for over five years at least, maybe longer, and there has been no "one way system with alarms" at the till for all that time. 

Nor have I seen any of the security checking every reciept. The odd dodgy customer maybe, but that happens everywhere and haven't seen that for some time. 

They have one door in and one door out of the whole building to manage customer flow but it's hardly a one way system and it's sensible imo. 

Given mine and Hackeys experience at what I assume is the Crystal Peaks branch, may I suggest you are laying it on a bit thick. 

Edited by HeHasRisen