Cost Of Living 'Crisis'

The number of people on Twitter who don't understand how inflation works is astonishing. 

"Why are prices still going up if inflation is going down? " 

Erm, maybe because inflation is running at over 6%, mate 🙄🙄

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

The number of people on Twitter who don't understand how inflation works is astonishing. 

"Why are prices still going up if inflation is going down? " 

Erm, maybe because inflation is running at over 6%, mate 🙄🙄

At least Angela Rayner understands that.  

I do not understand if the Labour party's plan to reduce the NHS waiting list works how it will reduce the rate of inflation faster.  

4 minutes ago, Axe said:

At least Angela Rayner understands that.  

I do not understand if the Labour party's plan to reduce the NHS waiting list works how it will reduce the rate of inflation faster.  

I suppose that more folk returning to work and paying taxes as against to receiving benefits must have an effect on inflation.

27 minutes ago, El Cid said:

But if you work in the public sector, inflation is higher than wage increases, so they are getting poorer.

All wage increases should be much lower than the rate of inflation in order to bring the rate of inflation under control. If you work in the private sector inflation is also higher than wage increases.  We all should expect to be poorer given we have had a pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine has caused a global cost of living crisis.  We should consider ourselves fortunate that we live in the UK and have a government who have helped millions of our citizens with unprecedented payments over the last few years such as furlough and contributions to energy bills.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

The rate of inflation has fallen. 

Just seen Angela Rayner on the  BBC.  She said prices are still going up but just not so by as much which is correct.  When asked how the Labour party would reduce the inflation rate faster she said the Labour party has a plan to bring down the NHS waiting list.  

Poor contribution again.

Doesn't matter in the slightest what Angela Rayner says or what the Labour Party says,  because they are not in government so it's not them who are failing.

Your silly tory pals are in government and don't have a clue what to do,  so you are just trying to deflect attention from their failures.

How's silly Sunak coming along with stopping the boat people ?      Their numbers have gone UP again since the last time I asked.

What a Carry On.

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Poor contribution again.

Doesn't matter in the slightest what Angela Rayner says or what the Labour Party says,  because they are not in government so it's not them who are failing.

Your silly tory pals are in government and don't have a clue what to do,  so you are just trying to deflect attention from their failures.

How's silly Sunak coming along with stopping the boat people ?      Their numbers have gone UP again since the last time I asked.

What a Carry On.

Angela Rayner was asked how the Labour Party would bring down the rate of inflation faster and obviously does not have a clue.  Angela Rayner should have acknowledged the inflation rate has fallen sharply during the last 2 months then the interviewer would not have asked the question.  It does matter what the Labour Party says because there will be a general election next year and they need to convince the electorate they will do a better job than the current government. 

This thread is about the cost of living crisis and not the boat people.

3 hours ago, Axe said:

The rate of inflation has fallen. 

a teeny tiny bit, still over 6% though. Ouch.

My ~2% pay rise will no doubt bring the country to rack and ruin. 

can't wait to re-mortgage next year, coming off our 10yr-fixed-rate. That'll be another, effective, pay cut of around £300/month.

Edited by ads36

23 minutes ago, ads36 said:

a teeny tiny bit, still over 6% though. Ouch.

My ~2% pay rise will no doubt bring the country to rack and ruin. 

can't wait to re-mortgage next year, coming off our 10yr-fixed-rate. That'll be another, effective, pay cut of around £300/month.

It is more than a tiny bit.

Inflation June 23  7.9%

Inflation July  23    6.8%

1.1% difference in one month is large fall.