Sheffield's Signature Food

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Pontefract has rhubarb, Retford has strawberries, Devon has cream. But, what grows well in Sheffield? My nomination would be rapeseed. It grows in abundance, especially around High Green. I grew it in my garden and it spread like wild fire. Sheffield must have the perfect climate for it.

What do you think grows well in Sheffield? Are your mushrooms sprouting up a treat? Do your turnips blossom in the local climate?

https://sheffielder.net/2020/02/07/the-fig-trees-of-the-river-don/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Pontefract has rhubarb, Retford has strawberries, Devon has cream. But, what grows well in Sheffield? My nomination would be rapeseed. It grows in abundance, especially around High Green. I grew it in my garden and it spread like wild fire. Sheffield must have the perfect climate for it.

What do you think grows well in Sheffield? Are your mushrooms sprouting up a treat? Do your turnips blossom in the local climate?

Weed seems to grow well here by all accounts.

• Like 2

my mate   was living in a shared house and thought mr plod was calling re-summot else so he cut down his 3 plants in the loft,then once they had been about a car mistake about reg,he thought what can i do with that green stuff and he made wine and lots of cash down the pub,dont know if it was any good,but he said it was sheffields finnest.

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

my mate   was living in a shared house and thought mr plod was calling re-summot else so he cut down his 3 plants in the loft,then once they had been about a car mistake about reg,he thought what can i do with that green stuff and he made wine and lots of cash down the pub,dont know if it was any good,but he said it was sheffields finnest.

Thinnest? Finest? Fino-ist?

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

You can make wine from cannabis?

23 hours ago, echo beach said:

Not sure about that but spaghetti certainly does grow on trees according to Alan Whicker's April Fools' joke on TV 1957.

echo.

It was actually the well respected broadcaster Richard Dimbleby, which is why so many people believed it!