Parking Charge Notice

I recently parked in a private car park in town which had number plate recognition.

When I returned to leave I went to the payment machine entered my debit card and completed my payment.

A few days later I received a parking charge notice in the post saying I had not paid the correct amount even though the machine accepted my payment and I had no problem leaving when the barrier lifted for me. The company are requesting £60 and if I don't pay within 14 days it increases to £100 !  I stayed in the same car park 2 days later and the same thing has happened again so I have 2 notices for the same amounts. It is impossible for me to speak to the owners of the car park, every time I have tried it is just a message about how to pay.

Has anyone else had this problem ? And if so how did things work out ?

14 minutes ago, mac09 said:

I recently parked in a private car park in town which had number plate recognition.

When I returned to leave I went to the payment machine entered my debit card and completed my payment.

A few days later I received a parking charge notice in the post saying I had not paid the correct amount even though the machine accepted my payment and I had no problem leaving when the barrier lifted for me. The company are requesting £60 and if I don't pay within 14 days it increases to £100 !  I stayed in the same car park 2 days later and the same thing has happened again so I have 2 notices for the same amounts. It is impossible for me to speak to the owners of the car park, every time I have tried it is just a message about how to pay.

Has anyone else had this problem ? And if so how did things work out ?

Student slapped with a £60 parking fine uses ChatGPT to write an appeal letter - and gets the penalty REVOKED

A student used the artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot ChatGPT to revoke a parking fine that was issued even though she had a permit. 

Millie Houlton, 22, from York, used the bot to write an email to the council, which then revoked the £60 fine.

Believing she wouldn't be able to get her point across herself, business management student Millie used the AI chatbot to create a professionally worded email to appeal against the fine.

https://chat.openai.com/chat

Edited by Jack Grey

Not saying this doesnt apply, but this is a Private Parking Invoice.

1. Do not ring or email them or mention who was driver..

2. Search the company on google and see similar problems on ticket machines.

3. go to Money Saving Expert  'private parking tickets' and read the 'newbies' thread which will tell you all you need to know.

There is an appeals procedure (depending on the company), you might need to take good photos of the signs and the ones in/on the machine, and observe whether it's the same company name on all signs and notices..

2 hours ago, carosio said:

Not saying this doesnt apply, but this is a Private Parking Invoice.

1. Do not ring or email them or mention who was driver..

2. Search the company on google and see similar problems on ticket machines.

3. go to Money Saving Expert  'private parking tickets' and read the 'newbies' thread which will tell you all you need to know.

There is an appeals procedure (depending on the company), you might need to take good photos of the signs and the ones in/on the machine, and observe whether it's the same company name on all signs and notices..

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated 👍

2 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Have a read of the thread below. It has been put together by some very knowledgable people.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4816822/newbies-private-parking-ticket-old-or-new-read-these-faqs-first-thankyou#latest

Thanks for that Zinger I will check it out  👍

2 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

So you parked went away then returned and payed ?

Yes. 👍

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Student slapped with a £60 parking fine uses ChatGPT to write an appeal letter - and gets the penalty REVOKED

A student used the artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot ChatGPT to revoke a parking fine that was issued even though she had a permit. 

Millie Houlton, 22, from York, used the bot to write an email to the council, which then revoked the £60 fine.

Believing she wouldn't be able to get her point across herself, business management student Millie used the AI chatbot to create a professionally worded email to appeal against the fine.

https://chat.openai.com/chat

Thanks Jack, that's interesting 🤔

I had a parking charge notice at the ca park behind the shops on Bradfield road.

I noticed the times on it were wrong (I could prove it from the card receipt I had kept from the Taste of India we'd just been in) so I challenged it. Eventually it was dropped.

I did a bit of research at the time and it seemed unclear if they actually pursue many people anyway, but, if there is any flaw in their case you just keep challenging it and eventually they give up and go for an easier target.

I do wonder if that carpark camera on the Bradfield road car park contributed towards the Taste of India eventually shutting and being replaced by The Curry Spoon (or whatever it is) ?

2 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I thought it was park then pay ?

Yes it was, I parked up, no ticket was issued on entry because they use cameras for number plate recognition. I then went to the pay machine when leaving, inserted my registration and  bank card and paid.