Parking Charge Notice

11 hours ago, mac09 said:

I recently parked in a private car park in town which had number plate recognition.

When I returned to leave I went to the payment machine entered my debit card and completed my payment.

A few days later I received a parking charge notice in the post saying I had not paid the correct amount even though the machine accepted my payment and I had no problem leaving when the barrier lifted for me. The company are requesting £60 and if I don't pay within 14 days it increases to £100 !  I stayed in the same car park 2 days later and the same thing has happened again so I have 2 notices for the same amounts. It is impossible for me to speak to the owners of the car park, every time I have tried it is just a message about how to pay.

Has anyone else had this problem ? And if so how did things work out ?

Write the company a letter explaining what has happened, tell them you will not pay the penalty and invoice them for the letter.  I would also ask for free parking credit to compensate you for your inconvenience and stress. 

34 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I had a parking charge notice at the ca park behind the shops on Bradfield road.

I noticed the times on it were wrong (I could prove it from the card receipt I had kept from the Taste of India we'd just been in) so I challenged it. Eventually it was dropped.

I did a bit of research at the time and it seemed unclear if they actually pursue many people anyway, but, if there is any flaw in their case you just keep challenging it and eventually they give up and go for an easier target.

I do wonder if that carpark camera on the Bradfield road car park contributed towards the Taste of India eventually shutting and being replaced by The Curry Spoon (or whatever it is) ?

There's a bit of a coincidence here Chekhov, I have one of my paper receipts from the pay machine and the the time for entering and leaving are completely different from the times on the charge note. The car park I stayed in is just off Campo lane and it seems impossible for me when I try ringing them, it is just automated message telling you how to pay.

27 minutes ago, mac09 said:

There's a bit of a coincidence here Chekhov, I have one of my paper receipts from the pay machine and the the time for entering and leaving are completely different from the times on the charge note. The car park I stayed in is just off Campo lane and it seems impossible for me when I try ringing them, it is just automated message telling you how to pay.

Well you have a get out, challenge it by post then, recorded delivery. 

I'd be very surprised if they persisted with it as you have a case.

Sorted

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Well you have a get out, challenge it by post then, recorded delivery. 

I'd be very surprised if they persisted with it as you have a case.

Sorted

Thanks for your replies, I have appealed both notifications and also spoke to Citizens advice and they have provided me with a case reference, I have wrote a letter to the PO box number which I am posting later today 🤞

4 minutes ago, mac09 said:

Thanks for your replies, I have appealed both notifications and also spoke to Citizens advice and they have provided me with a case reference, I have wrote a letter to the PO box number which I am posting later today 🤞

The fact their address is only a PO box number speaks volumes about how professional they are and what sort of a business they are in......

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The fact their address is only a PO box number speaks volumes about how professional they are and what sort of a business they are in......

I agree,   I would have a word with Trading Standards or even the Police, not sure if either of the two agencies mentioned could or would do anything but if this a dodgy scam company they might invesrigate them and you would  be helping future victims falling fowl. 

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I agree,   I would have a word with Trading Standards or even the Police, not sure if either of the two agencies mentioned could or would do anything but if this a dodgy scam company they might invesrigate them and you would  be helping future victims falling fowl. 

You’ ve more chance of finding a Trading Standards Officer than a Police Officer. Just a thought, why not contact the card supplier that you used for payment?

12 minutes ago, crookesey said:

You’ ve more chance of finding a Trading Standards Officer than a Police Officer. Just a thought, why not contact the card supplier that you used for payment?

The OP is replying by letter to the PO box number,  I would have thought the companies contact details would be on the payment machines, it all sounds bit suspect thats why I said,  either tell the Police or trading standards then its up to them to decide on the action they going to take if any, she doesn't have to  find a Copper knockin about just go to the Cop shop there is a strong possibility she find one there.  :hihi:

48 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

The OP is replying by letter to the PO box number,  I would have thought the companies contact details would be on the payment machines, it all sounds bit suspect thats why I said,  either tell the Police or trading standards then its up to them to decide on the action they going to take if any, she doesn't have to  find a Copper knockin about just go to the Cop shop there is a strong possibility she find one there.  :hihi:

Well looking at Woodseats Cop Shop car park, it’s so full of Cop Cars that there must  be dozens of them inside. 😉

15 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Well looking at Woodseats Cop Shop car park, it’s so full of Cop Cars that there must  be dozens of them inside. 😉

It would be handy if we had  a few more cctv cameras installed,  inside the cop shops so we, the public,  who pay for them,  finally get to know what they are all doing in there.