When Did The City Centre Lose Its Soul?

When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

I really dont think thats true....for the past 20 years ive lived in and around the city centre so ive seen the changes with my own eyes

If you look at the student population they were in student villages in places like MIllhouses, Ranmoor etc but all those are now gone and the city centre sky is filled with student accomodation for as far as the eye can see

Everywhere you look there is apartment blocks that were not there even 10 years ago.....just look at Kelham

Even Park Hill that was derelict for the last 20 years is now at 80% capacity

I would like you to point out what I have said, that is not true.

The number of people living in Sheffield city centre, massively out weighed those who live there now.

As I have said, only The Moor, Fargate, High street and Waingate were comprised of other than mainly domestic housing and I have photos to prove it.

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I would like you to point out what I have said, that is not true.

The number of people living in Sheffield city centre, massively out weighed those who live there now.

As I have said, only The Moor, Fargate, High street and Waingate were comprised of other than mainly domestic housing and I have photos to prove it.

Im a little confused at your comment?

Doesnt really make sense

'The number of people living in Sheffield city centre, massively out weighed those who live there now.'

4 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

He's saying fewer people live there now than before. He must be talking about the pre slum clearance times.

That's correct.

The Luftwaffe made a start on the demolition for us and then the slum clearance program in the 50's did the rest.

There was still a hell of a lot of housing in the city centre up until around 1960.

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I would love to see some of your photos of the  domestic housing in the Wicker.

I don't have photos of every road in Sheffield. I said I had hundreds not thousands.

The Wicker was hardly changed for a hundred years up until the 1970's and was the way it was because of the 2 Stations, Associated warehouses and the Steel works.

If you want to look at old photos, go to  picturesheffield.com like I did.

It's now much harder to find the old photos as they now include many modern coloured ones so you have to trawl through many more.

Their search process is also much poorer than it used to be and  I rarely go on now.

Edited by Organgrinder

26 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't have photos of every road in Sheffield. I said I had hundreds not thousands.

The Wicker was hardly changed for a hundred years up until the 1970's and was the way it was because of the 2 Stations, Associated warehouses and the Steel works.

If you want to look at old photos, go to  picturesheffield.com like I did.

It's now much harder to find the old photos as they now include many modern coloured ones so you have to trawl through many more.

Their search process is also much poorer than it used to be and  I rarely go on now.

What two stations on the Wicker? 

Victoria was rarely used 50 years ago.

Trams all gone 60 years ago.

Houses removed from the city centre 60 years ago- check census and ward data.

At this time nearly all the 'public buildings' were less than 100 years old and your generation did nothing to protect them. Instead your generation created the concrete slabs of buildings, the dual carriageways that divided communities and the urine soaked underpasses that blighted the city for another generation.  Now you blame subsequent generations attempts to turn back what your generation wanted and allowed to happen. It was your generation who created the soulless isolating concrete ribbons that divided the city centre.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2023 at 20:02, Organgrinder said:

In other words, the bottom dropped out and there was nothing anyone could do.    Strange how other cities managed it.

Our shopping was always like a "ribbon" and I have hundreds of photos showing thousands of happy shoppers enjoying it.

When you talk about the world moving on, you should realise that the world didn't dump all it's factories, jobs and commerce, whilst it was moving on.

Our Economic decline has been brought about by our cost cutting governments, who you, no doubt, are happy to vote for.

I will hazard a guess that you are one of the fortunates with a very nice paid for home and a comfortable income you can rely on and even you, are still a whinger like the rest of us.

This is true. Sheffield shopping was always very linear.

A day out at the shops on a Saturday used to be get off the bus at the bottom of the Moor, work your way up, then catch another bus home from the foot of Fargate.

There'd be the occasional side trip, for example up to FON or down Chapel Walk, but that was about it.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

What two stations on the Wicker? 

Victoria was rarely used 50 years ago.

Trams all gone 60 years ago.

Houses removed from the city centre 60 years ago- check census and ward data.

At this time nearly all the 'public buildings' were less than 100 years old and your generation did nothing to protect them. Instead your generation created the concrete slabs of buildings, the dual carriageways that divided communities and the urine soaked underpasses that blighted the city for another generation.  Now you blame subsequent generations attempts to turn back what your generation wanted and allowed to happen. It was your generation who created the soulless isolating concrete ribbons that divided the city centre.

There was the Wicker Goods Station, which was the original LMS Passenger Station.  The Station Hotel in the Wicker was named after this Station.  and the Sheffield Victoria LNER

I never said the date when the Victoria Station was used or closed, as that is immaterial to my argument.

Neither did I say what dates the trams were  removed as that date makes no difference either.

Both these dates are completely immaterial,  All the things I am writing about were there  originally as part of our once great city and they performed sterling service.

In the case of the trams, they went to almost every part of the city and not just 4 places.  They were frequent and they were cheap and they ran in every weather.

And now, they are all gone.

Why would I need to check census and ward data when,  unlike you,  I know full well from my own memory when the inner city housing was removed.

Incidentally, all the housing was not removed at the same time. The fact remains, that the city centre was once, full of housing which, over time has gone for various different reasons.

Your problem is that everything you say has been  googled and you are just parroting what the internet tells you.

It matters not, which generation was responsible for the loss of our buildings.  what matters is that it was the politicians of the day,  just as the politicians of today are doing the same.

My generation was exactly the same as todays generations, busy working and looking after our families whilst leaving the politicians to deal with running the city.

I have already said what a complete mess the politicians made of that,

I have also said,  both in this thread and others,  that the council has never maintained anything properly so you are a bit late to apportion the blame, when you are actually repeating my very words

which you have read here.

It would seem that you are finally catching up with what I've said, and not only agreeing with me, but starting to turn that into your own argument too.

I must be doing something right then.

Yes, the council have ruined this great and famous city and are still intent on carrying on that work.

Edited by Organgrinder

5 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

There was the Wicker Goods Station, which was the original LMS Passenger Station.  The Station Hotel in the Wicker was named after this Station.  and the Sheffield Victoria LNER

I never said the date when the Victoria Station was used or closed, as that is immaterial to my argument.

Neither did I say what dates the trams were  removed as that date makes no difference either.

Both these dates are completely immaterial,  All the things I am writing about were there  originally as part of our once great city and they performed sterling service.

In the case of the trams, they went to almost every part of the city and not just 4 places.  They were frequent and they were cheap and they ran in every weather.

And now, they are all gone.

Why would I need to check census and ward data when,  unlike you,  I know full well from my own memory when the inner city housing was removed.

Incidentally, all the housing was not removed at the same time. The fact remains, that the city centre was once, full of housing which, over time has gone for various different reasons.

Your problem is that everything you say has been  googled and you are just parroting what the internet tells you.

It matters not, which generation was responsible for the loss of our buildings.  what matters is that it was the politicians of the day,  just as the politicians of today are doing the same.

My generation was exactly the same as todays generations, busy working and looking after our families whilst leaving the politicians to deal with running the city.

I have already said what a complete mess the politicians made of that,

I have also said,  both in this thread and others,  that the council has never maintained anything properly so you are a bit late to apportion the blame, when you are actually repeating my very words

which you have read here.

It would seem that you are finally catching up with what I've said, and not only agreeing with me, but starting to turn that into your own argument too.

I must be doing something right then.

Yes, the council have ruined this great and famous city and are still intent on carrying on that work.

How far are you going back? How far are you going to twist history to favour your arguments?  The Wicker was closed to passengers over 150 years ago, nearly 80 years before the LMS even existed and more than twenty years before it was a city.

Let's stick to what your generation achieved and was responsible for -the concreting of the city centre, destruction of some of our finest public buildings and housing. Segregating  communities with swathes of tarmac and the creation of unsustainable high rise developments.

The lesson you have unintentionally provided is what happens when a generation leaves it to others, be it those you elect or the developers and a warning  to the future that there is a greater need for involvement. Sadly of course your choice of dates is of purely political. 

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How far are you going back? How far are you going to twist history to favour your arguments?  The Wicker was closed to passengers over 150 years ago, nearly 80 years before the LMS even existed and more than twenty years before it was a city.

Let's stick to what your generation achieved and was responsible for -the concreting of the city centre, destruction of some of our finest public buildings and housing. Segregating  communities with swathes of tarmac and the creation of unsustainable high rise developments.

The lesson you have unintentionally provided is what happens when a generation leaves it to others, be it those you elect or the developers and a warning  to the future that there is a greater need for involvement. Sadly of course your choice of dates is of purely political. 

how-fit-were-cavemen.jpg

Edited by Jack Grey