When Did The City Centre Lose Its Soul?

When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Remarkable, isnt it? John Lewis has been shut 3 years too πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I was thinking the same as you.

Β 

I get shouted down when I accuse people of clinging onto the past and yet here we are. People identifying a location by using a shop name that changed 21 years ago and closed down entirely three years ago.Β 

Β 

..... To think these are the same types of people who have the gall to whinge the city is not progressing and failing in keeping with its rivalsΒ  πŸ™„

Edited by ECCOnoob

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Β 

I get shouted down when I accuse people of clinging onto the past and yet here we are. People identifying a location by using a shop name that changed 21 years ago and closed down entirely three years ago.Β 

Β 

..... To think these are the same types of people who have the gall to whinge the city is not progressing and failing in keeping with its rivalsΒ  πŸ™„

what are you talking about, it's just a harmless reference to a shop building, loads of people call it cole brothers, and loads of people of a certain age still refer to coles corner, and hammersmith odeon.

Edited by fools
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Β 

Β 

What would you call that building if you were arranging to meet someone there?

32 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I would call it "Coles" too as we have for all our lives.Β  Notice not" Cole Brothers" but Coles.

Anybody over the age of 20 knows exactly where we mean and, we wouldn't be arranging to meet someone we didn't know.

Anybody who wants to lay down the law about what we can call anyplace would soon get told to p off.

PeopleΒ usually get shouted down when they try to dictate to other people what they can or cannot say when it's damn all to do with them.

We don't put up with dictators around these parts.

Β 

Β 

Edited by Organgrinder

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Old John Lewis or simply Barker's pool.Β  If and when the building gets renamed or knocked down I will call it by whatever the name it's given.Β 

Β 

Perhaps I am the odd one out of here.Β  But to me it smacks of people who can't embrace change and cling on to that nostalgic memory.Β  Just the sort of people who look all the evolution of the city, new developments and repurposed buildings and write them all off as "rubbish" orΒ  "lame" or "ugly" or "better in their day" just because it's different.Β  Β 

Β 

We are a generation on, with grown adults right into their late 20s for whom the reference of "Coles" is completely meaningless and the name "Redgates" which still gets bandied about has barely relevance to anyone under 40.

Β 

I'm not saying there isn't a place for fondness and nostalgia and memories.Β  Β But on a thread which is bemoaning the supposed loss of our city's "soul" and discussing how much it's allegedly lacking compared to others which have advanced themselves, I find the whole insistence by certain people to still cling onto their outdated names and rose tinted memories to be slightly hypocritical.Β  Β 

Β 

If we want this city to keep advancing, if we want this city to keep up with the pace, we need to be embracing the changes that come.Β  Embracing the new regimes. Embracing the ever changing taste and trends and demands of the people living there. Pushing ever forward for the next generation.Β Β 

Edited by ECCOnoob

To be fair it doesn’t generally come naturally to start using a new name when you’ve used the previous one for a long time and especially if you’ve grown up using it.Β 
Anyhow, I think there are rise tinted spectacle attitudes about town in the past that forget about parts of it that were indeed grim. Like it or not, one thing that puts many people off the city centre is the spice heads/street beggars/brawling β€˜street people’ that they feel makes it unsafe. Whether you agree with that or not it does deter many from shopping in town.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redruby said:

To be fair it doesn’t generally come naturally to start using a new name when you’ve used the previous one for a long time and especially if you’ve grown up using it.Β 
Anyhow, I think there are rise tinted spectacle attitudes about town in the past that forget about parts of it that were indeed grim. Like it or not, one thing that puts many people off the city centre is the spice heads/street beggars/brawling β€˜street people’ that they feel makes it unsafe. Whether you agree with that or not it does deter many from shopping in town.

My bold.Β 

Β 

I was in town this morning just after 9:30am.Β  Β Walking down Fargate, there's a bloke singing along to a song of some other singer that's playing of a cassette tape.Β  Basically, he's doing a poor karaoke but he's got a box down, hoping that people will drop money in.Β 

Β 

Carry on down Fargate.Β  Outside Greggs, sat down, one bloke begging, shouting at a woman approaching him.Β  She's got a police officer on either side of her walking slightly behind her.Β  The bloke on the floor is begging the woman not to attack him, while she's aggressively bawling at him.Β 

Β 

Carry on down to the High St., a good half dozen on either side, just begging while also slaloming those just laid out on the pavement, out of their skulls, oblivious to the world around them & down on to Arundel Gate.Β 

Β 

Arundel Gate, a few more just laid motionless in doorways & a further 2 on the other side of Arundel Gate, beer cans in hand just shouting at the passing vehicles & shouting at an Amey worker doing his best to keep the area clean.Β 

Β 

If there's a Hollywood producer looking to make one of those zombie apocalypse films on the cheap, I'd suggest a trip to Sheffield city centre on a Sunday morning.Β  They'd have a ready made cast of extras.Β 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold.Β 

Β 

I was in town this morning just after 9:30am.Β  Β Walking down Fargate, there's a bloke singing along to a song of some other singer that's playing of a cassette tape.Β  Basically, he's doing a poor karaoke but he's got a box down, hoping that people will drop money in.Β 

Β 

Carry on down Fargate.Β  Outside Greggs, sat down, one bloke begging, shouting at a woman approaching him.Β  She's got a police officer on either side of her walking slightly behind her.Β  The bloke on the floor is begging the woman not to attack him, while she's aggressively bawling at him.Β 

Β 

Carry on down to the High St., a good half dozen on either side, just begging while also slaloming those just laid out on the pavement, out of their skulls, oblivious to the world around them & down on to Arundel Gate.Β 

Β 

Arundel Gate, a few more just laid motionless in doorways & a further 2 on the other side of Arundel Gate, beer cans in hand just shouting at the passing vehicles & shouting at an Amey worker doing his best to keep the area clean.Β 

Β 

If there's a Hollywood producer looking to make one of those zombie apocalypse films in the cheap, I'd suggest a trip to Sheffield city centre on a Sunday morning.Β  They'd have a ready made cast of extras.Β 

Tell me you're making this up.