When Did The City Centre Lose Its Soul?

When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?

Pounds Park has just opened.

Fargate regeneration is about to begin.

(plans for) The Castle site are progressing (with funding!)

Work is about to start improving pedestrian links between the city centre and Kelham Island.

etc.

Lots going on!

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Where are the "foreign markets" on the Moor, and what was ripped up?

There used to be a bakery/cafe, I think it was called Fox's and also a discount store on The Moor. The new markets house Caribbean, Chinse and African stalls, which I am not saying there is any thing bad about, I am just noting that these replace the former shops.

21 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Sheffield started to go downhill after the Castle Market closed down. The one down The Moor is lifeless with no atmosphere whatsoever ! 

I wonder what makes it like that. I don't think the traders are the same ones that were at Castle market. I believe the Simmonite brothers on Division Street used to inhabit Castle Market.

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

Pounds Park has just opened.

Fargate regeneration is about to begin.

(plans for) The Castle site are progressing (with funding!)

Work is about to start improving pedestrian links between the city centre and Kelham Island.

etc.

Lots going on!

I thought the Fargate re-generation turned out to be those infamous shipping containers. After they re-laid Fargate in 1997, it was thriving. I don't support the council's carless society plans but pedestrianisation really does city centres the world of good. It became a gathering point. 

Cities like Milton Keynes which is a jungle of roads and round abouts don't appeal to me. I wouldn't visit there as everything is so spaced out and divided by the roads.

56 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Sheffield started to go downhill after the Castle Market closed down. The one down The Moor is lifeless with no atmosphere whatsoever ! 

I think you're remembering Castle Market with rose tinted specs

I used to go into Castle Market to get keys cut and it was horrible

An outdated, crumbling building that was falling apart and absolutely filty

Compared to the one down The More it was tiny and towards the end it wasnt that busy at all

Edited by Jack Grey

12 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

When do YOU think the city centre lost its soul and vibrancy? Was it in 1990 when Meadowhall opened? Was it in 2013 when Castle Market closed? When Ethel Austin closed? When the lunch shop in Fitzalan Square became a "vaping" store? When The Moor was ripped up and replaced with foreign markets and a very poor excuse for a TJ Hughes?

Cast your vote and compare your thoughts with others!

I would put  it around year 2000 that it started going downhill faster.

Closing Castle market was disastrous as far as my  family are concerned.

The closing of John Lewis and Debenhams were the final nail in the coffin.

We used to go to town a lot and enjoyed the shopping before the changes.

Everything is now dead with no atmosphere and we have more or less, stopped going altogether.

Whatever you do will always suit some and not others but we think the council have killed the city centre and the majority of people we know agree.

9 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I thought the Fargate re-generation turned out to be....

Er, No?

have you seen Castlegate recently? - they're making Fargate look a bit like that...

(there's a bit more to it than that - but that should give you the rough idea)

Edited by ads36
  • Like 1