When Did The City Centre Lose Its Soul?

When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?

12 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I wonder, a thousand years from now when Brits are routinely going from the Earth to the Moon & some are living on Mars, those that are Earth bound & can't get to either the Moon or Mars, will they still be blaming Thatcher? 

Just now, harvey19 said:
12 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I wonder, a thousand years from now when Brits are routinely going from the Earth to the Moon & some are living on Mars, those that are Earth bound & can't get to either the Moon or Mars, will they still be blaming Thatcher? 

Yes

Edited by harvey19

41 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Whilst you are being facetious,  just remind us who shut down all the mental hospitals and told us that  "Care In The Community",  would work better and be cheaper.

It's only right to blame those that did the deed whether you like it or not.  You might have forgotten it but others have not.

In a thousand years, there will be no Brits going from the Earth to the Moon, Mars, or anywhere else.

They will be extremely lucky if they survive to the 23rd century.

On 20/04/2023 at 18:24, Organgrinder said:

Whilst you are being facetious,  just remind us who shut down all the mental hospitals and told us that  "Care In The Community",  would work better and be cheaper.

Hmmm supporting people to live their best quality of life and not be couped up in a hospital like a prisoner and subject to electric shock 'therapy' is surely a no brainer, it's called showing humanity. It's money well spent if done rightly. These are the people who should be a top priority for the public housing schemes. 

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Hmmm supporting people to live their best quality of life and not be couped up in a hospital like a prisoner and subject to electric shock 'therapy' is surely a no brainer, it's called showing humanity. It's money well spent if done rightly. These are the people who should be a top priority for the public housing schemes. 

The trouble is that they are not supporting people to live their best quality of life.

Mental services are now, along with the rest of the NHS, the worst they have ever been since the inception of the NHS.

You seem to think hospital care has been replaced by something better.

It hasn't. 

It might have been a good idea if it had happened, but it proved to be too expensive and has been quietly done away with. The results are hanging about in a town centre near you... 

Living in a shop doorway without the proper help is surely worse than living in a hospital or workhouse, even if that wasn't very good either. 

No government is prepared to spend the required amount of money needed to solve this problem.  

For large numbers of people in Middlewood, "Care in the Community" meant pack your bags and here's your bus fare to town.

23 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

My Grandad spent some time in Middlewood . By all accounts , a horrible place.

From a few people I've known who worked there, and  from former Middlewood residents - and other similar institutions - who the charity I worked for did it's best to support after their discharge to "care in the community" I would concur.