When Did The City Centre Lose Its Soul?

When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. When did Sheffield City Centre go down the pan?

15 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Do you think 'The Hole In The Road' was significant in terms of the vibrancy of the city centre?

It was a good original idea and we were sorry to lose it.

It did go downhill but that was only through lack of Police and Maintenance,  as with everything else.

Sheffield city centre used to get looked after properly.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Sheffield started to go downhill after the Castle Market closed down. The one down The Moor is lifeless with no atmosphere whatsoever ! 

:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

It did go downhill but that was only through lack of Police and Maintenance,  as with everything else.

:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That is what councils do, they run things down that they want to get rid of in the hope that people don't miss it. 

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Sheffield started to go downhill after the Castle Market closed down. The one down The Moor is lifeless with no atmosphere whatsoever ! 

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

There used to be a bakery/cafe, I think it was called Fox's and also a discount store on The Moor. The new markets house Caribbean, Chinse and African stalls, which I am not saying there is any thing bad about, I am just noting that these replace the former shops.

I wonder what makes it like that. I don't think the traders are the same ones that were at Castle market. I believe the Simmonite brothers on Division Street used to inhabit Castle Market.

This is an issue not just for Sheffield but for many city centres in the UK (and probably worldwide). I've seen it in Manchester, where I lived for a couple of years. There they have gone much further and priced out many people who used to live in supposed 'run down' areas, and made it safe for the creative people who work in the local creative and financial industries to feel it belongs to them. Designer shops and boutique stores have sprouted up to cater to their needs, and the City centre does feel very divided.

I think that process of gentification in Manchester, is not what's happening in Sheffield. However new architecture and re purposing does initially lead to a 'designing out' of what is familiar to something that is perceived to be unfamiliar. The moving of the market to the bottom of the Moor is a good move as Sheffield centre feels less divided between the poorest who previously would've stayed down the Castle area of the city, and wealthier people would be in other parts of the city centre.

Over time the Moor Market will develop its own atmosphere.

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

This is an issue not just for Sheffield but for many city centres in the UK (and probably worldwide). I've seen it in Manchester, where I lived for a couple of years. There they have gone much further and priced out many people who used to live in supposed 'run down' areas, and made it safe for the creative people who work in the local creative and financial industries to feel it belongs to them. Designer shops and boutique stores have sprouted up to cater to their needs, and the City centre does feel very divided.

I think that process of gentification in Manchester, is not what's happening in Sheffield. However new architecture and re purposing does initially lead to a 'designing out' of what is familiar to something that is perceived to be unfamiliar. The moving of the market to the bottom of the Moor is a good move as Sheffield centre feels less divided between the poorest who previously would've stayed down the Castle area of the city, and wealthier people would be in other parts of the city centre.

Over time the Moor Market will develop its own atmosphere.

I would say that The Moor equally attracted the poorer members of society, despite being private land. 

Orchard Square is the only area that has consistently had more affluent shops/bars etc. Fargate has always been a mixed bag.

Chapel Walk was thriving around 15 years ago, but even Superdrug has gone now. It is a shame as Chapel Walk was one of the more photogenic strips in the city centre.

Waingate/Haymarket naturally died when the markets got demolished. But that is what the council seemed to want.  I do think the decline of that area started when BHS closed.

12 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I would say that The Moor equally attracted the poorer members of society, despite being private land. 

Orchard Square is the only area that has consistently had more affluent shops/bars etc. Fargate has always been a mixed bag.

Chapel Walk was thriving around 15 years ago, but even Superdrug has gone now. It is a shame as Chapel Walk was one of the more photogenic strips in the city centre.

Waingate/Haymarket naturally died when the markets got demolished. But that is what the council seemed to want.  I do think the decline of that area started when BHS closed.

Possibly the closure of BHS didn't help matters down that end of town. But there again, its closure was caused by the man at the top, Philip Green.

Lots of larger 'mid market' stores have closed down on the last 20 years. In fact there was a thread on here about 10/15 years ago, where every week, someone would announce yet another retail giant was going to the wall - Mothercare, C&A, Woolworths, Our Price, Dixons, Comet, Maplin, Staples etc.

Look at what's taking their place - coffee shops, Poundland, Greggs and tat shops. Not great.

Sheffield City Centre has always been way too sprawling anyway. It's make sense if it were compacter.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I think you're remembering Castle Market with rose tinted specs

I used to go into Castle Market to get keys cut and it was horrible

An outdated, crumbling building that was falling apart and absolutely filty

Compared to the one down The More it was tiny and towards the end it wasnt that busy at all

Jack, I think you are right !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Possibly the closure of BHS didn't help matters down that end of town. But there again, its closure was caused by the man at the top, Philip Green.

Lots of larger 'mid market' stores have closed down on the last 20 years. In fact there was a thread on here about 10/15 years ago, where every week, someone would announce yet another retail giant was going to the wall - Mothercare, C&A, Woolworths, Our Price, Dixons, Comet, Maplin, Staples etc.

Look at what's taking their place - coffee shops, Poundland, Greggs and tat shops. Not great.

C&A seemed to be closed for a long time before Primark took it over. 

Castle House AKA the Co Op department store seemed to be fairly popular, especially around Christmas time. It is the only Co Op department store in existance as far as I am aware. The cafe had great views for miles.

There is so much empty space that isn't being utillised. I wonder if the council are asking for more than tennants are willing to pay!

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

C&A seemed to be closed for a long time before Primark took it over. 

Castle House AKA the Co Op department store seemed to be fairly popular, especially around Christmas time. It is the only Co Op department store in existance as far as I am aware. The cafe had great views for miles.

There is so much empty space that isn't being utillised. I wonder if the council are asking for more than tennants are willing to pay!

Get ready  😀