White Actors Only Given 57% Of Roles ( = Below Their Population Proportion)

Can anyone defend this ?

More to the point isn't this kind of woke discrimination more likely to increase racism rather than the opposite ?

White actors' film roles decline in wake of Black Lives Matter
Study showing fall comes after protests and complaints of a lack of diversity in Hollywood.

On streaming services in 2022 only 57% of all roles went to white performeres, which is below their 61% proportion in the population.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/04/02/roles-for-white-actors-in-hollywood-fall-in-wake-of-blm/

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Can anyone defend this ?

More to the point isn't this kind of woke discrimination more likely to increase racism rather than the opposite ?

Study showing fall comes after protests and complaints of a lack of diversity in Hollywood.

On streaming services in 2022 only 57% of all roles went to white performeres, which is below their 61% proportion in the population.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/04/02/roles-for-white-actors-in-hollywood-fall-in-wake-of-blm/

You may be right about the figures, I don't know. However to be honest I look at the link that you've provided and I'm skeptical about their motivation. I know they're concerned about the rise in 'wokeness', but are the Telegraph genuinely worried about the increase in racism? 

For a great many years, actors and those in the film, theatre and television industries have been saying that the stream of actors - as well as writers and directors from a working class background have slowed to a trickle. Meanwhile, the intake of members from the upper class in those industries has increased.

For instance, Julie Walters, and the play write Alan Bleasedale have been very vocal about this.

I may be wrong but I can't remember the Telegraph campaigning on this issue.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mister M said:

You may be right about the figures, I don't know. However to be honest I look at the link that you've provided and I'm skeptical about their motivation. I know they're concerned about the rise in 'wokeness', but are the Telegraph genuinely worried about the increase in racism? 

TBH I am not much interested in their motivation for publishing, are you saying their figures are wrong ? I would be surpirsed if that were the case because it would be easily proven and just make them look incompetent.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Can anyone defend this ?

Progress 👍

• Haha 1

Can anyone defend this ?

This probably reflects the trend of 'colour blind casting':  https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/colorblind-casting-bridgerton/

Given it's political leanings, the Telegraph would have an issue with this approach. 

25 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

TBH I am not much interested in their motivation for publishing, are you saying their figures are wrong ? I would be surpirsed if that were the case because it would be easily proven and just make them look incompetent.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

For a great many years, actors and those in the film, theatre and television industries have been saying that the stream of actors - as well as writers and directors from a working class background have slowed to a trickle. Meanwhile, the intake of members from the upper class in those industries has increased.

For instance, Julie Walters, and the play write Alan Bleasedale have been very vocal about this.

I may be wrong but I can't remember the Telegraph campaigning on this issue.

As above I've clearly stated that I don't know about the validity of the stats.

It seems such a 'niche' topic: "White actors' film roles [in Hollywood] decline in wake of Black Lives Matter". Why is  that specifically important?

As I intimated above, the Daily Telegraph seems to have got a bit between its teeth with regards to what it regards as 'woke', but as a British newspaper, so why wouldn't it commission research into the long standing concern of people in the British film, theatre and television that the stream of people from working class backgrounds is slowing to a trickle, while being overtaken by people from the upper class?

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1

Can anyone defend this ?

Here's a bit more, less selectively quoted, of that article.

For white performers on streaming services in 2022, this was also found to be the case, with 57 per cent of all roles going to white performers, below the 61 per cent white population share. For theatrical releases, the share fell from 69 per cent in 2019 to 63 per cent in 2022.

In 2018, the same UCLA study found that 69 per cent of all film roles went to white acting talent, with subsequent studies showing that this jumped to 77 per cent in 2019.

So in 2022 white performers were under-represented on streaming services by 4% but over-represented in cinemas by 2%. Contrast this to 2019 where, overall, white performers were overrepresented by 16%.

I think that you are complaining about this reveals much about you.

• Thanks 2