White Actors Only Given 57% Of Roles ( = Below Their Population Proportion)

22 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Why has everything got to be in proportion?

It might keep history real. 

Anne Boleyn was not a person of colour, nor did the Bennett family have a daughter of colour in Pride and prejudice. 

By all means there are plenty of roles that are not specific, but historical roles such as this should be kept true to history. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, altus said:

The BLM protests may have given Hollywood the kick up the arse it needed to knock it out of it's lazy complacency[1] and find out what audiences actually want but, now they've discovered diversity makes money, there's no positive discrimination required. They are choosing the things that make money.

TBH I do not think anything positive has come out of BLM.

If anything is is stirring up cynicism, division and racism where there was none before. 

22 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Because if it were the other way around society would be accused of being racist.

Surely is has to be consistent ?

I can remember seeing Google's advert/E Mail for digital safety Family Site, it had three families on it :

1 - A mixed race family (as one of three pics I'd have no problem with that)

2 - Two young blokes with baby (i.e. a male gay couple family) 

3 - Two young women with baby (i.e. a female gay couple family)

I didn't knwo whether to laugh or throw up it was such an overt display of biased wokeness. It's annoys me how they're trying to tell us all what to think.

Absolutely spot on.

All spot on, and positive discrimination is still  discrimination. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chekhov said:

TBH I do not think anything positive has come out of BLM.

If anything is is stirring up cynicism, division and racism where there was none before. 

So there was no cynicism, division and racism before BLM?

I think you need to give examples of the wonderful world we had before BLM! And why BLM came into existence.

Edited by Mister M

11 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Point out a specific example of it in the other direction and I will do so.

That said, there may be more black players in football than their population would warrant, but I have no problem with that as it is a provably free market. No discriminatory edicts in that, they have just got there on merit, so good luck to them.

On 05/04/2023 at 14:58, Chekhov said:

Because if it were the other way around society would be accused of being racist.

Surely is has to be consistent ?

I can remember seeing Google's advert/E Mail for digital safety Family Site, it had three families on it :

1 - A mixed race family (as one of three pics I'd have no problem with that)

2 - Two young blokes with baby (i.e. a male gay couple family) 

3 - Two young women with baby (i.e. a female gay couple family)

I didn't knwo whether to laugh or throw up it was such an overt display of biased wokeness. It's annoys me how they're trying to tell us all what to think.

Absolutely spot on.

Google making an advert, or an ad agency on behalf of Google is a perfect example of the free market in action. They've got a product they wish to sell to their target audience, and have produced an advert which they think will appeal to their target audience to persuade them to buy their product.

Edited by Mister M

15 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Google making an advert, or an ad agency on behalf of Google is a perfect example of the free market in action. They've got a product they wish to sell to their target audience, and have produced an advert which they think will appeal to their target audience to persuade them to buy their product.

Strange 'target audience', as I suspect it is only a small percentage of the population - despite the 'noise' made on its behalf?

21 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Strange 'target audience', as I suspect it is only a small percentage of the population - despite the 'noise' made on its behalf?

14 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Agreed. Seems more like cringe virtue signalling to me.

There was a thread on here, I can't remember when, but basically someone was getting their knickers in a twist because they thought there were more black people in adverts than in society - or the proportion of black people on our screens was greater than the proportion in wider society. Well so what? - What does it matter? Unless someone has a problem with gay people or people from different ethnic minorities existing, then why should it be a problem?

I'm not a big advert fan myself, simply because I find them annoying. I've got the gumption to switch over or switch off.

On a related point, I think so many people take for granted things in life which matter a great deal to other people. 

I've said on this forum before that when I was growing up in the late 1970s and 1980s, the only gay characters were tragic figures of fun. Actually having a normal looking person who isn't camp, who isn't a figure of fun was really important in my own development. Now of course, these weren't from adverts, but interviews on TV or people in the entertainment and acting industry. But you get my drift.

I'm not having a go but people who call 'cringe virtue signalling', do so from a position of relative comfort. I'm sure if you were in my shoes in the 1980s, you'd have plenty to complain about.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1

Doesn't really answer my post which you quote above, although I THINK I can see your point. My point was that the vast majority of  people are 'straight' - if that term is allowed these days - and trying to portray 'alternatives' as the majority is deception.