Who Would You Pick As Best Ever Owls Player ?

bassett one

Brings back some memories.

sheffweds85.jpg

That John Pearson though, when I hear him commentating I always think he's still in his early 20's. He must be about 60 now, doesn't sound it on the commentary.

Edited by KP Nuts

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

Has anyone mentioned Peter Swan ?

Swan took a hardware shop (1965 I'm guessing) next to the market in Rossington near Doncaster shortly after his ban . His lad, Carl, was in the same class at school as my brother.

Swanny got a team together (white shirts, red shorts) - including Kay and Layne - somebody who'd played for Mansfield - local lad ginger haired Dave Swift on left wing  - to play a friendly against Rossington United who played on the field at the back of our house - our next door neighbour, Bob Kelly was the secretary,. One side of the pitch was next to the woods, other backed on to gardens,  so me and a couple of lads were paid 3d a game to retrieve balls kicked over  fences.  Swannys team won 4-3 - Swanny got the winner from a pen - sent the keeper the wrong way - without a run up.

Very hush hush - it was just after the end of season and was surprised to see the pitch marked out for a midweek game whe I came home from school. Probably a hundred spectators at best.

Edited by Longcol
  • Like 3

Just now, NERVY-OWL said:

Easily Di Canio from my time of properly supporting the Owls, tore Barnsley apart in my first home game if I remember correct. Obviously there's Hirst, Waddle etc but we're all getting to the ends of their time with us.

Hirst signed for us as a nipper.

1 minute ago, ukdobby said:

Hirst signed for us as a nipper.

Yes I mean since I started following us properly. Back end of his owls career by then but still the best all round striker I've seen with us. Di Canio was just another level though.

3 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Yes I mean since I started following us properly. Back end of his owls career by then but still the best all round striker I've seen with us. Di Canio was just another level though.

He was pure class but not with us long enough.