City Lofts - Sheffield's Tallest Tower (is on the up!)

Sheffield used to have a landmark that was known all around the world when it had the "hole in the road" so what did the council do? - fill it in and put a tram stop on top of it!!!!:rant: :rant: :rant:

All I remember about the hole in road was it had a strong stench of urine, there was always sick in the underpasses and it seemed like a very unpleasant place to be. I can see why it's reputation was global ;) lol

So, a couple of new ugly towers are going up in the city, woop di doo, now my beloved Sheffield can look just like every other major city in the country, and lose even more of its' individuality and charm!

Surley it has to evolve and change to survive this go-getter, competitive period we live in? As for individuality and charm, its still got it. The people see to that.

Whilst most like it, I am puzzled why some cannot seem to grasp the concept of progress.

I like the idea, and the concept...just not the scheme itself and it's appearance. Hopefully it will be used to it's full potential unlike a lot of other apartment buildings which still have empty space to let.

Whilst most like it, I am puzzled why some cannot seem to grasp the concept of progress.

It is because we don't accept that everything is progress. Progress can come in many ways without simply being a slightly smaller building than in Manchester or Leeds. Progress might be a large low building with parks and trees on top or extending the pedestrian area all the way to Hunters bar. All daft ideas, I know, but just having one bland, not that tall, building isn't very imaginative at all.

It is because we don't accept that everything is progress. Progress can come in many ways without simply being a slightly smaller building than in Manchester or Leeds. Progress might be a large low building with parks and trees on top or extending the pedestrian area all the way to Hunters bar. All daft ideas, I know, but just having one bland, not that tall, building isn't very imaginative at all.

But this is part of a bigger scheme...

A world-class new square, the Peace Gardens - designed to display the town Hall as the most important building fronting the square. The Peace Gardens will be completed by the new hotel and offices, re-establishing the building line of the old Norfolk Street and providing animation with lively ground floors. In additional elongated public square - linking Tudor Square to Charles Street and the Peace Gardens to Arundel Gate via the Millenium Galleries. Part of this space will be covered for inclement weather. The Winter Garden - the covered section of the new elongated square and conceived by the architects as a beautifully planted public space, flanked and enlivened by the cafés and restaurants fo the hotel and the Galleries. It was intended to be partly hidden and 'discovered' by catching glimpses of it from the Peace Gardens, thereby encouraging people to walk through. The Commerical Development - aimed from the outset at attracting inward investors and retaining business in the city. It will include grade A offices and a 4/5 star hotel with a conference centre, filling a gap in sheffield's visitor and conference market.

Sheffield used to have a landmark that was known all around the world when it had the "hole in the road" so what did the council do? - fill it in and put a tram stop on top of it!!!!:rant: :rant: :rant:

If a hole in the ground (used mainly as a rubbish dump and late night open-air toilet) was our greatest landmark then we were in trouble.

I feel that we are simply laying the foundations for bigger things to come. The economics are right, the demand is there (albeit, not initially) and these things do take time to come to fruition (post development). I'm no expert but (maybe) for example - by year 3 post development, a 60% uptake is factored in to the development costs? I certainly know that developments such as these attract onward investment and growth in other areas. I certainly would not expect such a development to be 100% occupied from day one. But the scope (capacity) is there and surley the economic climate fits. Additionally, this is private sector funded, so we don't spend a penny! Which is nice.

I would like to share you optimistic view, but dont see how or where this high end growth is coming from.

Unlike Leeds or Manchester, there simply isnt the economic infrastructure and growth of well paid jobs (and thats the real key here) coming into the city centre. All the call centres and retail units in the world are not going to create or bring in people who can afford these types of places. A conservative guess for one of these flats would have to be anywhere between £100,000 (for a shoe box) and £350,000 pounds when completed. I have a good network of friends in Sheffield and dont know anyone who earns more than £30,000 a year.

I would loved to be proved wrong, but I really cant see it.

On the other hand, I wouldnt mind buying the penthouse block at the top. You'd have women flocking round you in Revolution like footballers wives round a photographer.

But this is part of a bigger scheme...

a world-class new square, the Peace Gardens - designed to display the town Hall as the most important building fronting the square. The Peace Gardens will be completed by the new hotel and offices, re-establishing the building line of the old Norfolk Street and providing animation with lively ground floors. In additional elongated public square - linking Tudor Square to Charles Street and the Peace Gardens to Arundel Gate via the Millenium Galleries. Part of this space will be covered for inclement weather. The Winter Garden - the covered section of the new elongated square and conceived by the architects as a beautifully planted public space, flanked and enlivened by the cafés and restaurants fo the hotel and the Galleries. It was intended to be partly hidden and 'discovered' by catching glimpses of it from the Peace Gardens, thereby encouraging people to walk through. The Commerical Development - aimed from the outset at attracting inward investors and retaining business in the city. It will include grade A offices and a 4/5 star hotel with a conference centre, filling a gap in sheffield's visitor and conference market.

My argument when anything like this crops up is to pose a question. When all this is done and you ask someone (an outsider) what their impression of Sheffield is, what will they reply? I often ask people when I am away on business what their impression od Sheffield is. The replies I get are that it is a large town full of steelworks with shops at Meadowhall. When this new development is done, what will change about the reply? If we did something really stunning and world shattering then people all over the country and the world would hear about Sheffield where you go for the .........

I have no idea what that something is, but it isn't more shops and 30 story blocks of flats. Even the winter gardens are fankly very unimpressive, had they have been 10 times the size then that might have done the job.

Archived