City Lofts - Sheffield's Tallest Tower (is on the up!)

As a bit of a skyscraper enthusiast I'm quite excited about this building. Ok, it's not as spectacular as some the recent additions to skylines of other cities eg Manchester, Birmingham etc - but it's still a big step forward for Sheffield. I'm quite disappointed with the negative attitudes on this thread - let's see if your opinions change when it is actually built...

If a hole in the ground (used mainly as a rubbish dump and late night open-air toilet) was our greatest landmark then we were in trouble.

The problem here was surely lack of policeing. Agreed it got into this state towards the end, but only because of the lack of a security presence and the decline which followed it. So the council fail us twice - once by allowing it to get into this state, and secondly by then demolishing it.

Alternatively should all those of us who dislike these new high rise slabs simply go and urinate on them as a way to persuade the powers that be to demolish them!! (irony, not incitement)

Judging from the positioning of it, it could blot out most of the late afternoon sun in the winter all the way up to pinstone street, including putting the winter gardens and the peace gardens in the shade.

Also in terms of absolute height, I think it will still be lower than the arts tower, but it will dominate the whole area between arundel gate and the station.

I agree with Kenh, I think progress comes in many forms, and not just taller buildings.

Not progressive enough!

and usually not born here

This is a local shop, for local people. Forgive me for drawing parallels with Royston Vasey, here.

Can we keep this on topic please and not use this thread as slanging territory for discriminitive behaviour towards others.

Thanks.

Archived