City Lofts - Sheffield's Tallest Tower (is on the up!)

All the discussions on this page seem to be missing the point.The Heart of the City scheme was supposed to celebrate and produce a development scheme that is worthy of a 1 in a 1000 year event.The corporate part of the development in no way achieves the high standard of the public domain.As a member of the new Sheffield Civic Trust I shall be putting forward proposals to show the Sheffield public what could have been (and hopefully in the future what will be) the most stunning city centre development, certainly in this country and possibly anywhere in the world.Oh,and it doesnt include a 32 storey monstrosity.

How do we become part of the Civic Trust? I see that there is an AGM next month but only members can attend. Those of us that have strong views on the future of Sheffield might also like to take part.

My own view is that I have nothing particular against a 32 story building in itself, I just hate the lack of imagination and the way that it isn't quite big and impressive enough to really stand out either.

All the discussions on this page seem to be missing the point.The Heart of the City scheme was supposed to celebrate and produce a development scheme that is worthy of a 1 in a 1000 year event.The corporate part of the development in no way achieves the high standard of the public domain.As a member of the new Sheffield Civic Trust I shall be putting forward proposals to show the Sheffield public what could have been (and hopefully in the future what will be) the most stunning city centre development, certainly in this country and possibly anywhere in the world.Oh,and it doesnt include a 32 storey monstrosity.

What's this new Sheffield Civic Trust? I'd like to hear more.

While I agree with your sentiments, don't you think that the horse has bolted.

I think the prospect of more jobs and business in Sheffield out way a few people having a mild shiver at a certain time of the day in the winter.

I don't much care if a few people get a mild shiver at certain times of the day. I do care that the Winter Gardens was supposed to be a landmark building only a few years ago and now we have another landmark building which will ruin the environment of the first. I can only deduce that the 32 story block of flats wasn't considered as part of any real strategy but is rather just another disjointed idea.

I also doubt that there will be any new jobs as a result of building some new flats, or rather no more or less than if other buildings are built.

My own view is that I have nothing particular against a 32 story building in itself, I just hate the lack of imagination and the way that it isn't quite big and impressive enough to really stand out either.

I think it would look better being taller and narrower.

What's that then a huge tree with leaves of gold? Come off it people we are living in a city here, if you want countryside go live in Bakewell or a little village. There's no pleasing people in Sheffield and this forum really depresses me as all the responses you get are negative and people moaning about pointless things that probably won't even effect their lives. There's plenty of open spaces in Sheffield, Millennium Square, Tudor Square, Paradise Square, Peace Gardens and Devonshire Green. Why would need more? This is a city and cities have buildings, sometimes tall, sometimes ugly but get over it.

Archived