Spider Hunting-The New Hobby!

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

They will die a lingering death. Let them be , in your house or kill them humanely ( carpet slipper)

Why would they die a lingering death?  They will still breathe the same air and enjoy the same temperature this weather, surely?

I’ve definitely got a spider phobia. When people keep saying they won’t hurt you, it’s a load of rubbish, of course they hurt me, feeling anxious when it’s the time of year (September) when the gigantic ones start to come indoors. That can’t be good for your heart. 

It must be lovely not to be scared of the pesky things. 

23 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

This sounds to me like it's a fascinating hobby...
... and reminds me of an old forum member who once set out to collect 100,000 fluffy wasps!

I'd be interested to know just what you intend to do with all these spiders once you've collected them!

As far as I know, they have no monetary value (unless they can be exchanged on the dark web?)...

... and I can't recall ever seeing a stall selling them at any of the flea markets that I've attended.

And how do you look after them and keep them in pristine condition?

They do seem to pride themselves on their personal hygiene...
... which I understand, is why they're often found around bath plugholes! :)

What about the money spider?

1 hour ago, mart said:

What about the money spider?

Hmmm... :huh:

Not being an active spider collector myself, I must confess, that's not something I had considered.

But you are correct! :thumbsup:

After consulting my good friend, Mr Wiki, it appears that the money spider (much like a few forum trolls) is known by a few different names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linyphiidae

One of these appears to be "sheet weavers"...
... I suppose that's because they're not very good at making webs! :roll:

And another interesting fact is that money spiders are known for getting about by "ballooning"...
... so in that respect, they seem to have a lot in common with that world famous entertainment group, The Baubles!

It's all fascinating stuff! :)

Edited by Mr Bloke
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

They are intruders and will be ejected using the minimum force necessary.  They are survivors and will find other suitable accommodation,  or be eaten by a predator I expect.

Also, house spiders do bite. The area of skin that has been bitten can itch for several days.  Two small puncture holes can be seen on the reddened skin, from my experience .

I do the same as  @Tipstaff but I don't always notice them in time.