Coronation

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Can someone explain to me, preferably one who is anti monarchy......

How would not having a monarchy change your life in anyway, shape or form?

We could turn all the Royal residencies into museums / tourist attractions & charge the world's tourists to enter. 

Personally, any part of my taxes that are not spent of providing a security detachment for the likes of Beatrice & Euginie, even after all these years but because Prince Andrew still insist on it, would be most welcome. 

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

We could turn all the Royal residencies into museums / tourist attractions & charge the world's tourists to enter. 

Personally, any part of my taxes that are not spent of providing a security detachment for the likes of Beatrice & Euginie, even after all these years but because Prince Andrew still insist on it, would be most welcome. 

Thanks for the reply, and I respect your view, but on a personal level is more of what I am asking.

What difference would it make to your life if there was no monarchy?   Surely the 1.29p it costs per year for each tax payer wouldn't make any difference.

23 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

What difference would it make to your life if there was no monarchy?   Surely the 1.29p it costs per year for each tax payer wouldn't make any difference.

If someone holds the view that when you take an oath it should be something that you intend to honour then it does make a difference  to peoples lives.

If you are not a monarchist and will not take an oath of allegiance to something you don't believe in then you can't join the military, the police, the judiciary, become a magistrate or work in a number of other positions.

On two separate occasions over the years it was suggested to me by sitting magistrates that I knew that I should apply to become a JP.

Although the idea interested me I couldn't apply because of the oath.

The money is inconsequential in the scheme of things it's the undemocratic and divisive nature of the archaic institution that is the problem. 

10 minutes ago, m williamson said:

If someone holds the view that when you take an oath it should be something that you intend to honour then it does make a difference  to peoples lives.

If you are not a monarchist and will not take an oath of allegiance to something you don't believe in then you can't join the military, the police, the judiciary, become a magistrate or work in a number of other positions.

On two separate occasions over the years it was suggested to me by sitting magistrates that I knew that I should apply to become a JP.

The money is inconsequential in the scheme of things it's the undemocratic and divisive nature of the archaic institution that is the problem. 

Fair enough.

So if you really really wanted to join the police or serve in the military you wouldn't because you would have to take an oath?

Seriously?

25 minutes ago, m williamson said:

But the whole point of swearing an oath to the monarch is so that the army, police etc. are not the servants of a particular political party whose loyalty would change with a change of government.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Thanks for the reply, and I respect your view, but on a personal level is more of what I am asking.

That figure only covers the sovereign grant.  ( the basics ) That is not all we spend on the royal family.

53 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

But the whole point of swearing an oath to the monarch is so that the army, police etc. are not the servants of a particular political party whose loyalty would change with a change of government.

Other countries get by without having people swear an oath to a monarch or the government. There's no reason we couldn't.

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Do you roughly know what the figure is then, per head?

I can't find any other figure.

No idea at all.  Seems that various things are paid for out of different accounts.  Buckingham Palace is having a £10 million facelift at the moment.

Edited by Organgrinder