Coronation

50 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Rather ironic that people moan about our government and the economy whilst buying flags made in China for the Coronation.

We have visited China and were very impressed with their work ethic and realisation that it was the individuals efforts that could improve their country.

The people "moaning" about our government and the economy are not the same people who are buying flags from China.

The ones buying flags from China are the poor deluded souls who have been convinced that a knees up for those at the top is what the country needs most.

What makes you think we care about the work ethic in China?   China's economy is run to a large degree on forced slave labour as was ours once upon a time.  We now accept that that is  wrong.

It doesn't surprise me in the least to find out that a nation who uses forced slave labour impresses you.  That speaks volumes of both you and China.

Edited by Organgrinder

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The people "moaning" about our government and the economy are not the same people who are buying flags from China.

The ones buying flags from China are the poor deluded souls who have been convinced that a knees up for those at the top is what the country needs most.

What makes you think we care about the work ethic in China?   China's economy is run to a large degree on forced slave labour as was ours once upon a time.  We now accept that that is  wrong.

It doesn't surprise me in the least to find out that a nation who uses forced slave labour impresses you.  That speaks volumes of both you and China.

Why not visit the country yourself and speak to the people.

Regarding the flags you have completely missed the point.

What will you be doing on Coronation Day ?

As an animal lover did ever you have a budgie ?

Edited by harvey19

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Nothing going on where I live.

I don't know about Sheffield as a whole. I haven't heard of anything, but then I haven't really been looking.

And of course we're strapped for cash, so with the elections looming they might be minding their step.  

I'm sure someone will let us know on Sheffield Forum if there's going to be a public celebration of some sort.

I don't think it's quite such doom and gloom.

According to the Sheffield Star, 31 streets in the city have applied for licences close and hold street parties.

There's a big two day free event in Peace Gardens with live screenings, movies, food stalls and according to the recent news, we have also been selected as one of 10 places to take part in some special special light show linked with the Windsor Castle concert.  

According to Twitter, meadowhall is doing various things including a charity appeal with Western Park and British Heart Foundation.  One of the big pubs near me is doing some sort of garden party activity.....

There are also lots of small charity, big lunch and community events listed on the Coronation website. You can even do a postcode search to find out here: 

coronation.gov.uk/events 

I find Sheffield Star and the local Facebook groups  is quite good for setting out what's going on.

For all those Republican miseries, there is even  a special place for them as one of the town pubs is selling themselves as a coronation free zone.

Something for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Why are you so interested in my " nothing to say "  posts ? 

I'm not,  but as we are discussing the coronation,  this is another one with nothing to say.

2 hours ago, m williamson said:

Most of the money being spent will be spent by British people in the country so it isn't an input in the sense of coming from abroad and increasing the countrys wealth.

Obviously there will be some spend by foreign tourists but how much more than would have happened anyway at this time of year it's difficult to say.

Also, as we manufacture less than we used to I'd imagine that there will be a significant amount of imports connected to the coronation. Apparently most of the flags for instance are made in China.

I like you as a poster but your bitterness, resentment and obvious distain about the coronation is poking its head above your attempts to be eloquently diplomatic.

32 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Right now it does.  2 years of global pandemic, economic slow down which decimated particularly our hospitality industries. Lots of hostility regarding Brexit and strained relations with other Nations.

For the next week and in particular the 48 hours of the Coronation, the world's eyes will be on this tiny Island.  Tens of thousands of people from tourists to journalists to celebrities to politicians to other world leaders will all be coming to this nation to celebrate and join a major part of our nation's history. Lest we forget that the last time anything like this happened was 70 years ago.

All over this country there will be people joining with their communities, out there enjoying themselves and taking part.  It will give a boost to many businesses, it will give a boost to the profiles and donations to the charities involved and start bringing people together again.

Irrelevant of whether one supports the principle of a monarchy or not. You cannot portray this is somehow going to be a bad thing for the nation.

That will always be some in poverty. There will always be someone struggling.  There will always be the haves and have nots.  There will always be some inequality. That's never going to go away in millennia of humans existing. There will never be a perfect time to host any event. There will always be someone screaming we can't afford it. There will always be someone wailing that the money should be spent elsewhere. Doesn't mean we don't do things. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Right now it does.  2 years of global pandemic, economic slow down which decimated particularly our hospitality industries. Lots of hostility regarding Brexit and strained relations with other Nations.

For the next week and in particular the 48 hours of the Coronation, the world's eyes will be on this tiny Island.  Tens of thousands of people from tourists to journalists to celebrities to politicians to other world leaders will all be coming to this nation to celebrate and join a major part of our nation's history. Lest we forget that the last time anything like this happened was 70 years ago.

All over this country there will be people joining with their communities, out there enjoying themselves and taking part.  It will give a boost to many businesses, it will give a boost to the profiles and donations to the charities involved and start bringing people together again.

Irrelevant of whether one supports the principle of a monarchy or not. You cannot portray this is somehow going to be a bad thing for the nation.

That will always be some in poverty. There will always be someone struggling.  There will always be the haves and have nots.  There will always be some inequality. That's never going to go away in millennia of humans existing. There will never be a perfect time to host any event. There will always be someone screaming we can't afford it. There will always be someone wailing that the money should be spent elsewhere. Doesn't mean we don't do things. 

Fantastic post  :thumbsup:

• Like 3