Coronation

21 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I like you as a poster but your bitterness, resentment and obvious distain about the coronation is poking its head above your attempts to be eloquently diplomatic.

How you arrive at your conclusion as to my feelings is a mystery. I do not do disdain for people or things. Disagreeing with me  because I hold a differing view to you is one thing,  accusing me of having resentment and being bitter is quite another and complete nonsense.

I believe that the institution of  monarchy is anachronistic, it is used by politicians for their own purposes it continues servility and enhances the class system and these things are detrimental to the wealfare of the country and its people.

You appear to be under the impression that any criticism is unfounded and only people who are in some way bitter and twisted would have a negative attitude to royalty.

I used to be the northern regional director of a national PLC and once had Prince Michael of Kent visit my office in Manchester to officially  open it as northern regional  HQ.  He was there from 9.30 until 2.00 and we threw on a decent bash, catered lunch plus visits from the lord mayors of both Manchester and Salford. 

There was a schedule for his visit and it included a 20 minute chat in my office with the MD, the Prince and me. It wound up nearly 40 minutes because when his protection officer came to tell him time was up he sent him away and we continued chatting.

I treat him exactly as I would any guest in my office, with good manners. At no time did I call him sir but he obviously wasn't bothered. Meanwhile, my MD who was a good guy -  and had achieved more in his life than the Prince had in his -  had beads of sweat running down his forehead. That is something I simply can't accept as being right. We are all equal as humans and servility is unacceptable to me.

The acceptance of monarchy and having someone born to reign over their subjects is complete arrant antiquated nonsense.

As far as the Coronation goes I genuinely hope that the weather is fine and those who wish to do so have a good time. I do not resent it but can assure you, he is not my king.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, m williamson said:

As far as the Coronation goes I genuinely hope that the weather is fine and those who wish to do so have a good time. I do not resent it but can assure you, he is not my king.

Ha. Another one. 

If you are a British citizen living in this constitutional monarchy, I can assure you he is your king.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

As is this one .

Which shows that a forum, where people have proper discussion, even if sometimes heated, is too adult a place for you to frequent.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Which shows that a forum, where people have proper discussion, even if sometimes heated, is too adult a place for you to frequent.

You are grumbling and being belligerent all day,  and you are here more frequently than those you disapprove of.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I don't think it's quite such doom and gloom.

According to the Sheffield Star, 31 streets in the city have applied for licences close and hold street parties.

There's a big two day free event in Peace Gardens with live screenings, movies, food stalls and according to the recent news, we have also been selected as one of 10 places to take part in some special special light show linked with the Windsor Castle concert.  

According to Twitter, meadowhall is doing various things including a charity appeal with Western Park and British Heart Foundation.  One of the big pubs near me is doing some sort of garden party activity.....

There are also lots of small charity, big lunch and community events listed on the Coronation website. You can even do a postcode search to find out here: 

coronation.gov.uk/events 

I find Sheffield Star and the local Facebook groups  is quite good for setting out what's going on.

For all those Republican miseries, there is even  a special place for them as one of the town pubs is selling themselves as a coronation free zone.

Something for everyone.

Thankyou for that. Glad to hear it.

Personally, I expect I'll be watching it on TV. 

It's interesting that some sane people will enjoy all the pageantry, whereas other sane people will see exactly the same thing and see it as it as simply ridiculous.

Edited by Anna B

Just watching the ITV news & they have commissioned a poll with the 2 separate but similar questions, one for each of them, 'Do you think Charles / Camilla will be a good King / Queen?   

What a stupid, fatuous question.   How do we tell if they are doing a good job?  Is there going to be a probationary period?   Can we have a re-run or start a recruitment campaign to get another monarch if Charlie's not up to the job? 

The upshot of the poll is that the older the generation, the higher a "Yes" vote.  Only about a third of the 18 to 30 group believed they would do a good job. 

The news were asking people in various parts of the UK their views & they interviewed Caernarfon woman who had been at Charles' Prince of Wales investiture.   The reporter asked the woman for her views & she said that apart from the day of his investiture, he'd not been back to Caernarfon since.  She said her tv would be off this coming Saturday. 

Vive la révolution! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ha. Another one. 

If you are a British citizen living in this constitutional monarchy, I can assure you he is your king.

Assumption, the misconception that you know something, when in reality you have no idea what you're talking about.

I had dual nationality as a birthright,  when I first needed a passport back in 1972 I chose an Irish passport, which makes me a citizen of the Irish Republic. My nationality therefore is Irish, and I can assure you without any misconception that he is not my King.

Enjoy Saturday, when the man who betrayed the mother of his children and married his mistress is crowned as your King, with his ex mistress as your queen.

Must be a proud day for you and your fellow subjects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Personally, I expect I'll be watching it on TV. 

It's interesting that some sane people will enjoy all the pageantry, whereas other sane people will see exactly the same thing and see it as it as simply ridiculous.

I fail to see  why monarchists,  complain about those who don't share their beliefs.  What's so wrong about people not sharing the same views? 

We don't all try to marry the same woman and we don't all like the same favourite food.  We don't all buy the same make of car.

I,  and another poster have already said,  enjoy your day if that's what you like,  We are not interested in people acting out fairy tales and bowing & scraping and choose to find better things to do.

Who can give me a valid reason why we shouldn't hold these views?

I have never called for the removal of Charles and Camilla,  and I don't bear them any ill will, but I see  the whole system as stupid play acting and  so I certainly have no wish to watch it or celebrate it.

Others do as they please and that's fine by me.

Just seen the post by ECO,  who still doesn't get it that people are allowed to have any views they choose.

Wonder what he's so frightened of.  perhaps the fact that the monarchy seems to be on it's last legs and his desperation won't alter that.

Edited by Organgrinder