Coronation

22 minutes ago, m williamson said:

There is absolutely nothing to prevent them abdicating and closing the whole rigmarole down. I would suggest that they enjoy the priviledge  the perks and the bowing and scraping that so many are prepared to indulge them with.

It's Ruritanian and somewhat embarrasing to many.

They have a duty and responsibility to maintain the monarchy which after all partly identifies the country.

They  (some exceptions) have decided not to run away from this duty and responsibility.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

They have a duty and responsibility to maintain the monarchy which after all partly identifies the country.

They  (some exceptions) have decided not to run away from this duty and responsibility.

Together with service, dedication and loyalty.  These are traits which seem sadly lacking in certain sections in our wider midst!  They'd rather whine winge and live a miserable and complaining existence.

3 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

As I said in my other post - I don't think it's a delusion, considering the impact our tiny nation has had on the world.

I know it's divisive at the moment, but if it weren't for the Empire would the world have become as cosmopolitan and such a melting pot of cultures and ideas?

Certainly we had a great empire (built mostly on the back of the slave trade, but we don't like to talk about that,) but the world has changed and so has our position in it even if the grey men in suits of the British Establishment  haven't accepted it yet. 

I very much hope the Commonwealth survives, but I fear it won't be able to last another 50years. The name 'Common  Wealth' is a bit of an oxymoron for a start. 

Historically the 1,000 year old Coronation Service will be very interesting to watch.

Charles certainly takes it very seriously, and will want to mean every word. But I wonder how much of it will have to be changed to accommodate the modern world including Charles' contentious divine rights and divorce etc.

And should it? Or is it just an archaic fixture that should always stay the same?

Discuss...  

Edited by Anna B

5 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

Together with service, dedication and loyalty.  These are traits which seem sadly lacking in certain sections in our wider midst!  They'd rather whine winge and live a miserable and complaining existence.

It amazes me how people can appear proud of their lack of loyalty.

34 minutes ago, Axe said:

Oh dear. You are an embarrassment. 

No Westy, you're the embarassment, dish it out but whine like a baby when it comes back. From a number of posts on this forum you've been sussed for what you are.

7 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

It amazes me how people can appear proud of their lack of loyalty.

Or, to look at it another way, their pride in their self respect and lack of subservience. 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

The Coronation is not a divisive issue.  The problem with social media and discussion forums is the small minority shout the loudest and attempt to spoil traditional values and national events for the mostly silent majority.

The coronation IS a divisive issue or we wouldn't be arguing the point about it now.

The small minority shout the loudest  - THAT BEING YOU   - the majority are willing to back republicans and recent figures have shown that.

The royal family will go the way of the British Empire and you are helping to speed it up by trying to shut up any dissent.   

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

No Westy, you're the embarassment, dish it out but whine like a baby when it comes back. From a number of posts on this forum you've been sussed for what you are.

Always know when posters resort to calling me Westy they have lost the debate and fall into the Cheeky Girls gang.  

14 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The coronation IS a divisive issue or we wouldn't be arguing the point about it now.

The small minority shout the loudest  - THAT BEING YOU   - the majority are willing to back republicans and recent figures have shown that.

The royal family will go the way of the British Empire and you are helping to speed it up by trying to shut up any dissent.   

You are deluded. 

20 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Can you post a link stating that please?

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

There's more to it than war        -         until war starts.

And the 'boat people' situation can't progress because of the useless politician's who've promised every year for 13 years that they are going to stop it -

Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss and Sunak   all promised to stop it.   So the bleeding hearts are more powerful than your Tory government.    That doesn't surprise me.

Silly boy, you're trying to defend the indefensible

Go and get ready for your big fairy tale day.  It'll be just like Walt Disney's Cinderella.

My Tory government?

I've never voted for them in my life, my little cockle-pie!