Coronation

17 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That's not at all what I'm saying.

You are quite free to comment but,  so is he also.

So why are you telling him to mind his own business?

Have you found a copy of the oath to OUR sovereign that you took.

I believe it lasts a lifetime.

4 hours ago, cressida said:

Thank you,  it's free speech,  it's doubtful he reads the forum but he can tell me to mind my own business if he wants.

Free speech then,  in your opinion should be extended to you,  ( and harvey19,  though I would expect that from him with his ultra right leaning )

but yet,, you would deny someone else the right to the same free speech on the grounds that he should "mind his own business"?

Would you care to tell me who is the great decider in this matter because it sounds very much as though it's you two.

Free speech applies to either all or none, including me, including you two, and including Peter Tatchell. 

It makes no difference whatsoever whether you are n this forum or not.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Free speech then,  in your opinion should be extended to you,  ( and harvey19,  though I would expect that from him with his ultra right leaning )

but yet,, you would deny someone else the right to the same free speech on the grounds that he should "mind his own business"?

Would you care to tell me who is the great decider in this matter because it sounds very much as though it's you two.

Free speech applies to either all or none, including me, including you two, and including Peter Tatchell. 

It makes no difference whatsoever whether you are n this forum or not.

You have taken cressida's comment out of context. Cressida stated that Peter Tatchell was being too forceful by telling gay people to come out and believed it was not any of his business to do so.  I understood the point cressida made and it was nothing to do with denying free speech. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/04/high-street-sales-boost-uk-party-fare-coronation-spending

Crikey, when that anti Royal rag the Guardian is giving the coronation some kudos you just know it must be good.

Estimated 1.4 billion to be spent by consumers and tourist.....  Gosh, it must have absolutely killed them having to print that.

🙂

1 hour ago, Axe said:

You have taken cressida's comment out of context. Cressida stated that Peter Tatchell was being too forceful by telling gay people to come out and believed it was not any of his business to do so.  I understood the point cressida made and it was nothing to do with denying free speech. 

She said he should "mind his own business"

That's denying him free speech.

I don't like the bloke but he has the same right as she does to speak out or,   she should also mind her own business.

Can't have it both ways as I said.  Either everybody has free speech or none do.

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

She said he should "mind his own business"

That's denying him free speech.

I don't like the bloke but he has the same right as she does to speak out or,   she should also mind her own business.

Can't have it both ways as I said.  Either everybody has free speech or none do.

Yes ......  but it's wise to know when to keep your thoughts to yourself.

The legacy of Charles' Coronation is said to be a scheme to get people volunteering and helping each other, leading to an upsurge in people volunteering and doing good. Well that's a nice idea and better than a statue or a plaque, IMO, but is it going to happen?

I only heard about it yesterday (there's a website apparently that matches volunteers up with groups that need help in your area, but I can't remember what it's called.) Anything from making hot meals for the homeless to litter picking or helping out at a foodbank etc.. I saw it on a TV advert but that's the only mention I've seen. 

Is there anyone on Sheffield Forum who's been inspired to volunteer? Or knows someone who has?

Or are we all just too cynical?

Edited by Anna B

3 hours ago, francypants said:

Yes ......  but it's wise to know when to keep your thoughts to yourself.

If your thoughts are fair and equal, there's no reason to have to keep them to yourself.

Nothing at all wrong with fair.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If your thoughts are fair and equal, there's no reason to have to keep them to yourself.

Nothing at all wrong with fair.

I think JK Rowling's thoughts are fair... but many don't

57 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

I think JK Rowling's thoughts are fair... but many don't

Never read any of them so I can't comment.

I never read any fiction at all.