Coronation

20 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

This is the problem which has been growing in this country, the media are highlighting the views of the very vocal minority groups.

Obviously there are many different views on many different matters but things need to be kept in perspective and the public should be told how many people these pressure groups really represent.

It appears that we have reached a stage where many are reluctant to speak up against what some of these groups advocate because of the response.

Investigative journalism is needed instead of press releases.

I take it you will be watching The Coronation on TV like myself and not attending an event.

Correct, but why? 

Is it to try and show their inclusiveness or fake moral high ground?

Edited by Al Bundy

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

The legacy of Charles' Coronation is said to be a scheme to get people volunteering and helping each other, leading to an upsurge in people volunteering and doing good. Well that's a nice idea and better than a statue or a plaque, IMO, but is it going to happen?

I only heard about it yesterday (there's a website apparently that matches volunteers up with groups that need help in your area, but I can't remember what it's called.) Anything from making hot meals for the homeless to litter picking or helping out at a foodbank etc.. I saw it on a TV advert but that's the only mention I've seen. 

Is there anyone on Sheffield Forum who's been inspired to volunteer? Or knows someone who has?

Or are we all just too cynical?

Repeating this as it got lost in the middle of an argument.

I would really like to know if people have heard about it.

15 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

This is the problem which has been growing in this country, the media are highlighting the views of the very vocal minority groups.

Obviously there are many different views on many different matters but things need to be kept in perspective and the public should be told how many people these pressure groups really represent.

It appears that we have reached a stage where many are reluctant to speak up against what some of these groups advocate because of the response.

Investigative journalism is needed instead of press releases.

There's an article in the Times today about a woman who is in a legal dispute with the School of Sexuality Education who have provided lessons for her daughter and are refusing to tell the lady what the content of those lessons was. According to the Times they include the opinion that there is no such thing as virginity and they encourage children to become activists. 

https://schoolofsexed.org/blog-articles/2020/3/19

This all sounds suspiciously like a cult with charitable status to me and I can't understand how they came to be included into the education system and allowed to teach at a primary and secondary level as well as instructing trainee teachers.

Anyway back to the topic. Although it is of little interest to me I hope all goes off well tomorrow and I'll watch some of the parades which are always impressive, but I'll not spend too much time on the actual crowning. And no, unless I stub my toe there'll be no swearing.

22 minutes ago, m williamson said:

There's an article in the Times today about a woman who is in a legal dispute with the School of Sexuality Education who have provided lessons for her daughter and are refusing to tell the lady what the content of those lessons was. According to the Times they include the opinion that there is no such thing as virginity and they encourage children to become activists. 

https://schoolofsexed.org/blog-articles/2020/3/19

This all sounds suspiciously like a cult with charitable status to me and I can't understand how they came to be included into the education system and allowed to teach at a primary and secondary level as well as instructing trainee teachers.

Anyway back to the topic. Although it is of little interest to me I hope all goes off well tomorrow and I'll watch some of the parades which are always impressive, but I'll not spend too much time on the actual crowning. And no, unless I stub my toe there'll be no swearing.

Ref. your first paragraph.

I wonder why social services are not involved in such matters.

When there was an outcry to provide breakfasts for schoolchildren I could never understand why people did not consider this a responsibility of the parents and why social services were not visiting the parents.

My wife was one of 8 children. Her father and mother were working class people but the children were always well fed.

Ref. your second paragraph.

Maybe you would enjoy reading  Behind Palace Doors by Nigel Dempster and Peter Evans.  It would reinforce your views !

38 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Yes!  I won't that rubbish.

Not even a peep at the repeats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Ref. your first paragraph.

I wonder why social services are not involved in such matters.

When there was an outcry to provide breakfasts for schoolchildren I could never understand why people did not consider this a responsibility of the parents and why social services were not visiting the parents.

My wife was one of 8 children. Her father and mother were working class people but the children were always well fed.

Ref. your second paragraph.

Maybe you would enjoy reading  Behind Palace Doors by Nigel Dempster and Peter Evans.  It would reinforce your views !

Not even a peep at the repeats.

When it comes  to watchin Telele for  the next few days, I'm Glad I have Netflix ,  If that Pompous twit earned all those Medals he  is wearing tomorrow, when he passes all the Armed forces on duty who has really earned them,  on his  farce of a procession,   then I would watch  at least a few seconds of it.  But it just  goes to show what real set of false  nondescript bunch they really are,  how dare a person wear all those medals after people who have been in battles and lost limbs and nearly their lifes trying to earn them.  :rant:

3 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

But it just  goes to show what real set of false  nondescript bunch they really are

given the penchant for the family to fly helicopters either in a rescue or warzone capacity, that's a bit of a harsh pov.

13 minutes ago, fools said:

given the penchant for the family to fly helicopters either in a rescue or warzone capacity, that's a bit of a harsh pov.

Fools is the correct user name,  you chose it  well,  Anyhow!   Its obviously past your bedtime.  Night night. :wave: