Coronation

4 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

What did she look like today?

What’s all that about then?

I think she's Leader of the House (of Commons) and therefore represents them.

Didn't think much to the commentary on BBC1 actually. 

A Dimbleby would have been all over it with information; a veritable fountain of knowledge. There was much that needed explaining and explaining well. A lot of the symbolism was missed.

Edited by Anna B

I recorded the coronation but was able to watch the pageantry on a large public screen when they were making there way back to Buckingham Palace after the coronation.

I felt proud of our military when you see all the armed forces who were foot perfect and horses.  It was spectacular watching it on a large screen.  Well done to our armed forces for the splendid display.  

12 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I would rather be Chief Miserable than Chief Gullible,  you  set of Gullible Clowns.   By now,  That lot will be ramming their faces at Banquet and then going home to Mansions and Palaces all on behalf of the Taxpayer,  France got it right and got rid of their free loadinding scrounging Tw--s.  :rant:

Big fan of Robespierre and  Napoleon are yer?  :)

18 hours ago, Litotes said:

>>cuttsie said:
The biggest waste of public funds in history<<

Surely that was Brexit?

A better case could be made for spending £400 Billion unsuccessfully trying to suppress Covid.

Or even a quarter of a Billion a year spent on EICRs, electrical reports of rented properties.

Possibly even DBS checks which cost between a quarter and half a Billion pounds a year (depending on if you make an allowance for the time needed by the applicants).

And I am willing to bet that no cost to benefit analysis was done on any of those gargantuan amounts of expenditure.

I don’t think I would like to live by Cromwell’s  laws.  I think I would be spending most of my time in the stocks.  Below is life under Cromwell unless you happened to be a family member.

Cromwell was a Puritan. He was a highly religious man who believed that everybody should lead their lives according to what was written in the Bible. The word “Puritan” means that followers had a pure soul and lived a good life. Cromwell believed that everybody else in England should follow his example. 

One of the main beliefs of the Puritans was that if you worked hard, you would get to Heaven. Pointless enjoyment was frowned upon. Cromwell shut many inns and the theatres were all closed down. Most sports were banned. Boys caught playing football on a Sunday could be whipped as a punishment. Swearing was punished by a fine, though those who kept swearing could be sent to prison.

Sunday became a very special day under he Puritans. Most forms of work were banned. Women caught doing unnecessary work on the Holy Day could be put in the stocks. Simply going for a Sunday walk (unless it was to church) could lead to a hefty fine.

To keep the population’s mind on religion, instead of having feast days to celebrate the saints (as had been common in Medieval England), one day in every month was a fast day – you did not eat all day.

34 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

So do I, it was lovely watching them ride along side this beautiful golden coach.

I'm no fan of Charles, but my U.K. family were going on about it on WhatsApp. so I slid into the "british" pub (local beer only, and ashtrays on the bar for those so inclined) to catch a little of it on TV.

Must admit the sheer historical spectacle of it all stirred my heart, The public came out in droves, all full of good will and pride in their country.

I didn't notice any protesting, destruction, arson, looting, although according to todays Guardian head line (Since take down) it was a mix of "supporters and protesters". Another piece( still there, found it to be:

"Protesters in handcuffs and nonstop bling: this coronation has been an embarrassment"

Many countries sent their leaders, to show support,  Even the U,S, sent their most influential Biden minder, Dr. Jill.

Joe couldn't make it, because of whatever. Maybe he was just knackered from visiting Ireland the week before! Or more likely letting him loose among those World Leaders, was fraught with bad gaffes and bad optics from the old demented geezer. Can't have him farting on Camilla again, or trying to shake hands with nobody!  :)

Edited by trastrick

I'm a bit ambivalent about the monarchy, though I watched both the Queen's funeral and the Coronation as they were both great and historic (and impressive) state occasions, history if you like.

I am not an "anti monarchist" but I was disturbed to hear about them being moved on and their banners taken off them. People have a right to protest in a free country and we restrict that at our peril, so long as it doesn't break the law (like the Nett Zero extremists closing roads for instance).