Coronation

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

No idea at all.  Seems that various things are paid for out of different accounts.  Buckingham Palace is having a £10 million facelift at the moment.

Why can't big ears pay for the Coronation out of his own pocket? Not like he's short of a bob or two.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2022/09/15/how-rich-is-king-charles-iii-inside-the-new-monarchs-outrageous-fortune/?sh=4c61cba757f1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

So if you really really wanted to join the police or serve in the military you wouldn't because you would have to take an oath?

Seriously?

For people of integrity it's entirely reasonable to balk at taking oaths you don't believe in. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Why can't big ears pay for the Coronation out of his own pocket? Not like he's short of a bob or two.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2022/09/15/how-rich-is-king-charles-iii-inside-the-new-monarchs-outrageous-fortune/?sh=4c61cba757f1

I think it will be a fantastic day watching a farce costing millions especially for people on food banks, struggling with energy bills, Mortage payers and the stŕuggles with the crippling cost of living, I just hope the Royals and the hangers on have a fantasic day and not worry too much about the struggling majority of this country,  ahhhh! Bless em.  :roll:

30 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I think it will be a fantastic day watching a farce costing millions especially for people on food banks, struggling with energy bills, Mortage payers and the stŕuggles with the crippling cost of living, I just hope the Royals and the hangers on have a fantasic day and not worry too much about the struggling majority of this country,  ahhhh! Bless em.  :roll:

👏👏👏👏

43 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Please think of the children

Edited by Delayed

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Fair enough.

So if you really really wanted to join the police or serve in the military you wouldn't because you would have to take an oath?

Seriously?

Are you saying that you would take an oath with no intention of attempting to keep it?  Breaking an oath can in some circumstances result in a prison sentence.  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/1-2/6

Or do you believe that there are varying levels of seriousness where oaths are concerned,  that you can pick and choose which ones to take seriously and which ones are meaningless? Is there an officially accepted set of rules explaining which oaths should be considered serious and which are just a bit of a laugh?

In answer to your question, yes, if I give my word I try to keep it.  You give the impression of a man that can't be trusted to keep his word, which isn't something to be proud of. 

4 hours ago, harvey19 said:

But the whole point of swearing an oath to the monarch is so that the army, police etc. are not the servants of a particular political party whose loyalty would change with a change of government.

Why not swear an oath to the country or the constitution ( Providing there's a written one ) that removes the problem of any particular political party attempting to use the military against the interest of the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

Are you saying that you would take an oath with no intention of attempting to keep it?  Breaking an oath can in some circumstances result in a prison sentence.  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/1-2/6

Or do you believe that there are varying levels of seriousness where oaths are concerned,  that you can pick and choose which ones to take seriously and which ones are meaningless? Is there an officially accepted set of rules explaining which oaths should be considered serious and which are just a bit of a laugh?

In answer to your question, yes, if I give my word I try to keep it.  You give the impression of a man that can't be trusted to keep his word, which isn't something to be proud of. 

Why not swear an oath to the country or the constitution ( Providing there's a written one ) that removes the problem of any particular political party attempting to use the military against the interest of the country.

How would the country be defined ?

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

In 1953 our war weary and financially poorer country saw a very elaborate and grand coronation.  I suppose there were a few who moaned about the cost of it then, but it is OUR heritage too.   If there were a poll, I expect the resounding majority of the UK would be FOR the Monarchy and a coronation ceremony to be proud of.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

In 1953 our war weary and financially poorer country saw a very elaborate and grand coronation.  I suppose there were a few who moaned about the cost of it then, but it is OUR heritage too.   If there were a poll, I expect the resounding majority of the UK would be FOR the Monarchy and a coronation ceremony to be proud of.

The Coronation was as much to do with the British People themselves, as it was about the Royals.

Celebrating their history, from Alfred the Great, through Magna Carta, Civil War, to Elizabeth 11. and their precious, and very rare democracy, living in freedom from foreign domination, since 1066.

Britain, never will be slaves goes the tune, but today many are willing to be dominated, by the EU, who in turn are dominated by Germany, and who find themselves in yet another European War.

• Like 2