Coronation

43 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Regardless of whether we like it or not there is a pecking order in society which enables society to operate.

If that ' pecking order ' is arrived at by merit then there is nothing wrong with that being the case. The pecking order being mainly influenced by birth, what school you attended and how you speak is not only unfair it is also a liability to the country.

You only have to look at some of the incompetent expensively educated dross that have been instrumental in creating the mess we're in to see the proof of that.

Ask yourself this question, given his shambolic dress sense, rambling speech filled with errs and umms, his inability to keep it in his trousers, his production of six or more children with three or more women, incompetence at every job ( other than writing ) he's ever done, repetitive lying and being recorded offering to help a mate commit GBH would Boris Johnson have managed to get into his position if he spoke with a regional accent and had been educated at a state school?

Anyone from a working class background with that track record would be regarded as a useless no mark by just about everyone. Boris still has his supporters.

The ridiculous class system in this country is damaging its prospects and is embarrassing in this day and age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

This threads  not about Uk debt or GDP or Brexit . :rolleyes:

The thread is about the coronation,  The coronation will cost money but, they claim it will also  bring in money.  That money  is relevant to the British finances.

Why should not money be discussed when debating the coronation?

That is , unless you would like to pay for it?

Why not make a proper contribution to the thread for a change?

And that would be some change.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/02/how-does-the-coronation-look-from-the-us-like-the-final-straw-for-brand-britain

More bitterness from our racist friends.

“You’ve always said that it’s so embarrassing that we pledge allegiance to a flag,” my American wife said triumphantly when that hit the headlines. “Now you have to pledge allegiance to a king!”

More frothing and lying.   Who has to pledge an allegiance?

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

The thread is about the coronation,  The coronation will cost money but, they claim it will also  bring in money.  That money  is relevant to the British finances.

Why should not money be discussed when debating the coronation?

That is , unless you would like to pay for it?

Why not make a proper contribution to the thread for a change?

And that would be some change.

He is more succinct and does make contrbutions to threads,  some replies ramble on too long and people can lose interest.

17 hours ago, hauxwell said:

It’s been on the news that the King’s Coronation is set to boost the UK economy by £1billion, tourists are coming from all over the world to watch the coronation pageantry.  

Well they would say that wouldn't they. 

Doesn't make it true. They aren't going to spend £100 million of tax payers' money without coming up with something of that sort to placate the angry and disaffected.

It may be true that London will benefit somewhat, but I doubt the North will be any better off, in fact there will be a big hole in revenue that should have been spent 'levelling up.'

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Well they would say that wouldn't they. 

Doesn't make it true. They aren't going to spend £100 million of tax payers' money without coming up with something of that sort to placate the angry and disaffected.

It may be true that London will benefit somewhat, but I doubt the North will be any better off, in fact there will be a big hole in revenue that should have been spent 'levelling up.'

It was an independent   consultancy firm called Brand Finance who worked out the Coronation will give the economy a £1 billion boost. It is pretty obvious  given the amount of tourism and celebrations taking place that the economy will hugely benefit from the event.

14 minutes ago, Axe said:

It was an independent   consultancy firm called Brand Finance who worked out the Coronation will give the economy a £1 billion boost. It is pretty obvious  given the amount of tourism and celebrations taking place that the economy will hugely benefit from the event.

On a minor note we have helped the economy of some shops by buying flags and bunting etc.

4 hours ago, m williamson said:

The servile will look for excuses for any behaviour whatsoever if it's their ' Betters ' that are doing it. I've heard excuses for Andrew and you'll have no problem bowing and swearing an oath to Your adulterer King and his ex mistress Queen as they reign over you.

Not me mate!  :)

I gave up on the U.K., years ago! Never accepted I had "betters". Still don't.

Went back in semi retirement for 5 years, and found it had gotten worse!

Now I'm happy in another country I call home!

To  each his own!  :)

38 minutes ago, Axe said:

As Anna says,  almost all in London.  in hotels, restaurants, shops and pubs 

The majority of British people don't live in London but we will still have to pay.