Coronation

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Well they would say that wouldn't they. 

Doesn't make it true. They aren't going to spend £100 million of tax payers' money without coming up with something of that sort to placate the angry and disaffected.

It may be true that London will benefit somewhat, but I doubt the North will be any better off, in fact there will be a big hole in revenue that should have been spent 'levelling up.'

Yes London will benefit more than the rest of the country.  But here in Newcastle and parts of Northumbria there are lots of events taking place over the coronation weekend. 
The many castles on the Northumbrian coast are holding events, pubs advertising large screens to watch the coronation.  Brass bands and picnic areas are being advertised  in the towns and along the coast. If the weather behaves itself the hospitality trade should do very well up here over the coronation weekend.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Just Women, Kids and Sad under the the thumb Husbands and  Delusionist like Axe/West77 will be attending the street parties.    I'll be in the Boozer  getting bladdered with the Tele turned off.  :hihi:

Okay so even  you are helping the economy by getting bladdered in the pub on Coronation Day. 

4 minutes ago, Axe said:

Okay so even  you are helping the economy by getting bladdered in the pub on Coronation Day. 

I help the Economy every saturday all year round and  not because of  a Pompous Twit. :roll:

38 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

this input of money,

Most of the money being spent will be spent by British people in the country so it isn't an input in the sense of coming from abroad and increasing the countrys wealth.

Obviously there will be some spend by foreign tourists but how much more than would have happened anyway at this time of year it's difficult to say.

Also, as we manufacture less than we used to I'd imagine that there will be a significant amount of imports connected to the coronation. Apparently most of the flags for instance are made in China.

8 hours ago, Axe said:

I feel sorry for the anti monarchy and anti Coronation contributors.  Negativity is not a good trait and they would have more content lives if they enjoyed the traditions of our great country rather than lambast. They are clearly not satisfied with what they have and their standing in the community. 

I don’t watch or support sports that I’m not interested in, very much like my lack of interest in the monarchy, to folk that do support them, everyone to their own.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Most of the money being spent will be spent by British people in the country so it isn't an input in the sense of coming from abroad and increasing the countrys wealth.

Obviously there will be some spend by foreign tourists but how much more than would have happened anyway at this time of year it's difficult to say.

Also, as we manufacture less than we used to I'd imagine that there will be a significant amount of imports connected to the coronation. Apparently most of the flags for instance are made in China.

Rather ironic that people moan about our government and the economy whilst buying flags made in China for the Coronation.

We have visited China and were very impressed with their work ethic and realisation that it was the individuals efforts that could improve their country.

Edited by harvey19

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Yes London will benefit more than the rest of the country.  But here in Newcastle and parts of Northumbria there are lots of events taking place over the coronation weekend. 
The many castles on the Northumbrian coast are holding events, pubs advertising large screens to watch the coronation.  Brass bands and picnic areas are being advertised  in the towns and along the coast. If the weather behaves itself the hospitality trade should do very well up here over the coronation weekend.  

Nothing going on where I live.

I don't know about Sheffield as a whole. I haven't heard of anything, but then I haven't really been looking.

And of course we're strapped for cash, so with the elections looming they might be minding their step.  

I'm sure someone will let us know on Sheffield Forum if there's going to be a public celebration of some sort.