Coronation

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

At the very least it will stimulate debate about the monarchy (as it has here,) class, status, money, and the inequality between rich and poor. All worthwhile issues that certainly need debating.

You never know, something positive may come from it.

Quite so,  there is always room for debate on any subject although I don't expect anything will change.

It does at least reaffirm that there is more than one point of view and that each side are entitled to their own.

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

Can we not actually celebrate anything as a nation? 

I'm no royalist but it's nice to see the country come together over something for a change. 

Other than the inevitable disappointment of an England football loss

As someone who is half English half Irish and has lived in both country's the answer to your question is no, apparently not, unless the monarchy order you to.

Every year around the 17th of March I await the usual moans about St Patricks Day celebrations. Comments are made about St Georges Day and why it isn't celebrated in the same way. What's stopping you?  A group of us have  spent a weekend in Keswick at that time for years now. The St Georges day celebrations are pitiful, a group of locals dressed as crusaders ( who were mainly French ) and complete indifference from just about everyone else.

I've come to the conclusion that the English are not a party people, but will make the effort when royalty gives the go ahead.

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

At the very least it will stimulate debate about the monarchy (as it has here,) class, status, money, and the inequality between rich and poor. All worthwhile issues that certainly need debating.

You never know, something positive may come from it.

You bring those things up in the Labour and Conservative threads already 

Just now, m williamson said:

As someone who is half English half Irish and has lived in both country's the answer to your question is no, apparently not, unless the monarchy order you to.

Every year around the 17th of March I await the usual moans about St Patricks Day celebrations. Comments are made about St Georges Day and why it isn't celebrated in the same way. What's stopping you?  A group of us have  spent a weekend in Keswick at that time for years now. The St Georges day celebrations are pitiful, a group of locals dressed as crusaders ( who were mainly French ) and complete indifference from just about everyone else.

I've come to the conclusion that the English are not a party people, but will make the effort when royalty gives the go ahead.

I agree and the only time when we do come together is if we get past the quarters in an international football tournament.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

You bring those things up in the Labour and Conservative threads already 

What's wrong with that.

Do you mean that you would sooner stifle debate and not allow others to state their view.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

What's wrong with that.

Do you mean that you would sooner stifle debate and not allow others to state their view.

No never said that. 

I raised it to make the point that those debates are already happening 

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

No never said that. 

I raised it to make the point that those debates are already happening 

Doesn't matter.  That's what Forums are for.