Coronation

44 minutes ago, m williamson said:

The jingoistic Express with bunting around its title confirms it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1767255/coronation-viewing-figures-compared-spt

harvey19 didn't read the article last time you posted it, I doubt he'll do so now.

Here's the pertinent bit so he doesn't have to trawl all the way through it:

Official viewing figures for King Charles III's ceremony have now been released, and show a peak television audience of just 20 million. The vast majority, some 15.5 million, watched on the BBC, while 3.6 million tuned in on ITV and around 800,000 through Sky, according to the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board.

Other people's arguing the figures are distorted because lots of people went to see it in person also smacks of, shall we say, an overenthusiasm to explain away the differences. It's not like people didn't travel to London to see the 1953 coronation.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, altus said:

harvey19 didn't read the article last time you posted it, I doubt he'll do so now.

Here's the pertinent bit so he doesn't have to trawl all the way through it:

Other people's arguing the figures are distorted because lots of people went to see it in person also smacks of, shall we say, an overenthusiasm to explain away the differences. It's not like people didn't travel to London to see the 1953 coronation.

You are correct I did not read the link as I rarely do.

I do t argue with you about the numbers travelling in 1953 in fact I think more will probably have done so.

I still think the majority will support if they were asked the question whether they want it to remain or for it to be abolished.

Without the above question being asked I think the majority would say they were not bothered.

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

To be fair, I think Camilla as done the Monarchy no favours,  a vast majority of people resent that she has become Queen and how she got there.  

I don't think it's a "vast majority" at all.

The only people still screaming .... but but Diana.... Are a small number of individuals who can't move on and stuck in some sort of delusion about her and their doomed marriage. 

She's being dead for over 20 years. They were married then they divorced. Happens all the time in life.  

Charles and Di were doomed from the moment they dragged each other up the aisle. As soon as they divorced she was just as quick to jump into alternative relationships. In fact, there is no doubt in my mind she'd got wandering eyes while they were still married just as much as he did.

I find it ridiculous that there is hate for Camilla on the basic moronic reason that she simply not Diana.  What exactly was Charles supposed to do?  Life moves on.  People fall in and out of love all the time.   He's not going to sit there pining for his dead wife who he had already divorced in any event.

Di seemed more than content with a 17m settlement she got out of it. She continued in her passion of manipulating the media and filling lots of column inches with her sob stories when it suited her.  She was given an office and staff and state apartments to live in. She was loving her freedom from the shackles of royal responsibilities.  She was enjoying her new relationships with a Egyptian friend and his fellow billionaires.   Maybe if she wasn't running away from the press she constantly courted and jumping into cars we drunk drivers she would still be here today. She isn't.   But that's no reason for people to be using her to justify their resenting of Charles and Camilla decades later.

It's pathetic.

Edited by ECCOnoob

15 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The only people still screaming .... but but Diana.... Are a small number of individuals who can't move on and stuck in some sort of delusion about her and their doomed marriage. 

She's being dead for over 20 years. They were married then they divorced. Happens all the time in life.  

Charles and Di were doomed from the moment they dragged each other up the aisle. As soon as they divorced she was just as quick to jump into alternative relationships. In fact, there is no doubt in my mind she'd got wandering eyes while they were still married just as much as he did.

I find it ridiculous that there is hate for Camilla on the basic moronic reason that she simply not Diana.  What exactly was Charles supposed to do?  Life moves on.  People fall in and out of love all the time.   He's not going to sit there pining for his dead wife who he had already divorced in any event.

Di seemed more than content with a 17m settlement she got out of it. She continued in her passion of manipulating the media and filling lots of column inches with her sob stories when it suited her.  She was given an office and staff and state apartments to live in. She was loving her freedom from the shackles of royal responsibilities.  She was enjoying her new relationships with a Egyptian friend and his fellow billionaires.   Maybe if she wasn't running away from the press she constantly courted and jumping into cars we drunk drivers she would still be here today. She isn't.   But that's no reason for people to be using her to justify their resenting of Charles and Camilla decades later.

It's pathetic.

Well done, you didn’t refer to her as a ‘sloaney tart’ like you did in a previous post.

On 03/05/2023 at 02:11, ECCOnoob said:

Good job I used the word "if" at the start of my statement then.  

Could not give a toss about alleged betrayal and alleged mistresses.  Diana was no angel, despite what she manipulated the media and her deluded fangirls into thinking. She was a flaky, childish, sloaney tart just as unhappy in that ill fated marriage as Charles was. She was not immune to wandering eyes. They divorced, she didn't hesitate to find a few new relationships and, in any event, has been  dead for over 25 years.  

Was he not supposed to move on? Was he  supposed to sit there pining for his deceased for the rest of his life?  

12 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Di seemed more than content with a 17m settlement she got out of it. She continued in her passion of manipulating the media and filling lots of column inches with her sob stories when it suited her.  She was given an office and staff and state apartments to live in. She was loving her freedom from the shackles of royal responsibilities.  She was enjoying her new relationships with a Egyptian friend and his fellow billionaires.   Maybe if she wasn't running away from the press she constantly courted and jumping into cars we drunk drivers she would still be here today. She isn't.   But that's no for people to be using her to justify their resenting of Charles and Camilla decades later.

It's pathetic.

Your opinion is pathetic as per usual  but like everyone else your allowed to have one,  unlike the protesters who were arrested yesterday, now that is really pathetic.  

3 hours ago, janie48 said:

I  really enjoyed watching the Coronation on TV, and at times felt quite emotional.

I was unable to watch all of  coronation yesterday but I did record it. I’ve watched the coronation service today and I thought it was emotional especially when Charles said, 

I came not to be served but to serve, or something similar.

pleased I managed to watch some of the pageantry on a large public screen, it was a lot better than watching it on TV.

3 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I was unable to watch all of  coronation yesterday but I did record it. I’ve watched the coronation service today and I thought it was emotional especially when Charles said, 

I came not to be served but to serve, or something similar.

pleased I managed to watch some of the pageantry on a large public screen, it was a lot better than watching it on TV.

Plenty of Bar Staff opportunites knockin about if he wants to serve.  :hihi:

18 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Your opinion is pathetic as per usual  but like everyone else your allowed to have one,  unlike the protesters who were arrested yesterday, now that is really pathetic.  

Oh you mean those protesters who were arrested for affray and vandalism offences and illegally carrying materials which could be used to secure themselves or cause other types of public disorder.   Note these protesters also included several just stop oil morons who clearly not there to protest anything to with the coronation were they?

Besides, there were several thousand protesters in London, Glasgow and Cardiff yet only 52 were reportedly arrested. To me, that's not the 'authorities blocking people's right to protest'.  That's the police doing their job to stopping law breaking and public disorder disruption. It's what they are there to do. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

43 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

You are correct I did not read the link as I rarely do.

I do t argue with you about the numbers travelling in 1953 in fact I think more will probably have done so.

Yesterday's route was 1.3 miles compared to the 5 mile route in 1953 so, with nearly 4 times the length,  there was certainly more capacity for in person viewers then . London Transport reckon 3 million people viewed the 1953 coronation in person. I'd be surprised if yesterday's total exceeded that by much - certainly not enough to affect the proportion of the population as a whole who watched it.