Coronation

On 07/05/2023 at 18:30, ECCOnoob said:

Oh you mean those protesters who were arrested for affray and vandalism offences and illegally carrying materials which could be used to secure themselves or cause other types of public disorder.   Note these protesters also included several just stop oil morons who clearly not there to protest anything to with the coronation were they?

Besides, there were several thousand protesters in London, Glasgow and Cardiff yet only 52 were reportedly arrested. To me, that's not the 'authorities blocking people's right to protest'.  That's the police doing their job to stopping law breaking and public disorder disruption. It's what they are there to do. 

You mean the ones who were all wrongfully arrested and all released without any charges? Those ones? There was a thread some time back about these authoritarian anti-protest laws, in which I pointed out that the way they were worded it was possible for the police and home secretary to outlaw any protest they chose to. Oh no, said the SF Tories, that won't happen, these are just to deal with violent and illegal protests, people carrying out peaceful protests have nothing to worry about.

Two days after they come into force, the first time they are used it's to prevent people from attending a lawful, peaceful protest. So completely predictable.

17 minutes ago, Delbow said:

You mean the ones who were all wrongfully arrested and all released without any charges? Those ones? There was a thread some time back about these authoritarian anti-protest laws, in which I pointed out that the way they were worded it was possible for the police and home secretary to outlaw any protest they chose to. Oh no, said the SF Tories, that won't happen, these are just to deal with violent and illegal protests, people carrying out peaceful protests have nothing to worry about.

Two days after they come into force, the first time they are used it's to prevent people from attending a lawful, peaceful protest. So completely predictable.

It certainly was.

I wonder when they are going to get around to dealing with their proper day job,

dealing with stabbings, muggings, drug dealing, rapes and  all the rest of the things the low lives get up to.

No rush for that it seems.

29 minutes ago, Delbow said:

They were used to prevent a potential breach of the peace by troublemakers and worse potential incidents.  It would have been embarrassing for our country if the troublemakers had manage to disrupt the Coronation proceedings.  The Met police did an excellent job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Some of the protesters were planning, amongst other things,  to use rape alarms to spook the horses. Cruel to the horses and potentially dangerous.

They were members of City of Westminster Council's safety team.

“This service has been a familiar and welcome sight in the West End for a long time and have extensive training so they can assist the most vulnerable on the streets late at night."

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-05-07/reports-volunteers-arrested-over-rape-alarms-on-coronation-day-spark-concern

Have you read Baroness Casey's recent report into the Met? It's one of the worst-functioning organisations in the country and they are out of control.

Also, absolutely anything is a 'potential breach of the peace'. 

Edited by Delbow

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Top and bottom of it is the police / security people prevented any major disturbances.   Well done to them .

I also prevented several completely fictitious disturbances today, where's my thanks eh?

2 hours ago, Axe said:

They were used to prevent a potential breach of the peace by troublemakers and worse potential incidents.  It would have been embarrassing for our country if the troublemakers had manage to disrupt the Coronation proceedings.  The Met police did an excellent job.

I think it's more of an embarrassment on this country that we seemingly can't handle a few genteel protesters.