Coronation

1 minute ago, Axe said:

Mistakes do happen.  The Australian lady made a mistake by positioning herself next to the Just Stop Oil's angry mob.  The Just Stop Oil troublemakers are to blame for her arrest.

The Australian lady should be sent a bunch of flowers from the Met police.  I doubt the Just Stop Oil troublemakers have apologised to the unfortunate lady.

That's very strange logic.

How do you know that she wasn't there first and the protestors positioned themselves next to her? There's an article in todays Times about it, she's a keen royalist and has attended a garden party at Buckingham Palace, I would imagine she would have taken up position early.

The Just Stop Oil crowd were wearing clothes and carrying banners identifying them as protestors, she wasn't because she was an innocent spectator.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronation-arrest-just-stop-oil-police-protest-public-poll-2023-cwp0dm7l2

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1769183/royal-fan-arrested-coronation-protest-just-stop-oil

She must have protested her innocence and they took no notice of her. Holding an innocent person for that length of time is inexcusable.

The Torys are responsible for bringing in draconian laws which will drive a further wedge between the public and the police. The police need to have the publics support and consent in order to carry out their duties correctly.

I spent 33 years in a business that brought me into weekly contact with the police and I got to know a number of them well. A couple of them are still friends of mine although we are all retired now.

Most police officers are decent people trying to do a difficult job as well as they can. A small but not insignificant number of police are not decent people and take advantage of the job to bully people and gain whatever they can from their position.

The Met contain a higher percentage of wrong un's than most other forces.

16 minutes ago, m williamson said:

How do you know that she wasn't there first and the protestors positioned themselves next to her? There's an article in todays Times about it, she's a keen royalist and has attended a garden party at Buckingham Palace, I would imagine she would have taken up position early.

The Just Stop Oil crowd were wearing clothes and carrying banners identifying them as protestors, she wasn't because she was an innocent spectator.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronation-arrest-just-stop-oil-police-protest-public-poll-2023-cwp0dm7l2

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1769183/royal-fan-arrested-coronation-protest-just-stop-oil

She must have protested her innocence and they took no notice of her. Holding an innocent person for that length of time is inexcusable.

The Torys are responsible for bringing in draconian laws which will drive a further wedge between the public and the police. The police need to have the publics support and consent in order to carry out their duties correctly.

I spent 33 years in a business that brought me into weekly contact with the police and I got to know a number of them well. A couple of them are still friends of mine although we are all retired now.

Most police officers are decent people trying to do a difficult job as well as they can. A small but not insignificant number of police are not decent people and take advantage of the job to bully people and gain whatever they can from their position.

I read the article you posted a link to

A lifelong Royal Family superfan was arrested and held by Metropolitan Police for a whopping 13 hours for making the unfortunate mistake of standing next to Just Stop Oil's angry mob.

The Met police had a difficult job to ensure the Coronation proceedings were  not disrupted by either Republicans or other trouble making  groups such as Just Stop Oil who have a history of causing problems to seek publicity.  The Met police would have been criticised if they failed to arrest someone because they believed their claim of innocence and that person went on to disrupt the Coronation proceedings.  The Coronation was an event that has not happened for 70 years and the Met police were correct in not taking any chances and making arrests rather than risk a disturbance or worse incident occurring. 

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Mistakes do happen.  The Australian lady made a mistake by positioning herself next to the Just Stop Oil's angry mob.  The Just Stop Oil troublemakers are to blame for her arrest.

The Australian lady should be sent a bunch of flowers from the Met police.  I doubt the Just Stop Oil troublemakers have apologised to the unfortunate lady.

That wasn't a mistake,  it was a police state act,  probably the first of many.

Next year Labour will be running the show and using the same laws because they are not going to repeal it.     You may not think it's such a good law then. 

I think the royal family fan would tell you, in particular, where to stuff the flowers.  You're so obsessed that you would even harm and upset people who think the same as you.

Glad I'm on the other ( sensible ) side.

10 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That wasn't a mistake,  it was a police state act,  probably the first of many.

Next year Labour will be running the show and using the same laws because they are not going to repeal it.     You may not think it's such a good law then. 

I think the royal family fan would tell you, in particular, where to stuff the flowers.  You're so obsessed that you would even harm and upset people who think the same as you.

Glad I'm on the other ( sensible ) side.

Perhaps our King or Queen will apologise to the lass , After all the cops were acting for them as they always do .

12 hours ago, m williamson said:

The protestors were also innocent, because protesting is not a crime and nor should it be. The idiots supporting this law seem to think that authoritarian governments reach a point where they feel they have enough power and control over us. History tells us that's not true - authoritarian regimes have an insatiable appetite for control over the population.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

The protestors were also innocent, because protesting is not a crime and nor should it be. The idiots supporting this law seem to think that authoritarian governments reach a point where they feel they have enough power and control over us. History tells us that's not true - authoritarian regimes have an insatiable appetite for control over the population.

Why were new laws needed. I would have thought there was already existing legislation to deal with all situations.

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Why were new laws needed. I would have thought there was already existing legislation to deal with all situations.

There were, even most police forces said so. New laws were 'needed' to stifle dissent against the government.

52 minutes ago, Delbow said:

There were, even most police forces said so. New laws were 'needed' to stifle dissent against the government.

I think legislation was already there but not being used.

Why weren't the existing laws being used to stop the inconvenience to the general public caused by protestors ?

That is a question which needed asking but if you notice this topic was not aired by the media as I recall.

Edited by harvey19

37 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Why weren't the existing laws being used to stop the inconvenience to the general public caused by protestors ?

That is a question which needed asking but if you notice this topic was not aired by the media as I recall.

They had to do something because of the havoc Just Stop Oil have been doing which has prevented decent respectable folk going to work and other places such as hospitals

These measure criminalise the protest tactic of individuals attaching themselves to others, objects or buildings to cause serious disruption. The locking-on offence will carry a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment, an unlimited fine, or both.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

The obvious contradiction in the ad hoc attitude to authoritarianism exhibited towards law and order, which passees for logic by left/libs, is a little "confusing".  :)

On the one hand, they are ok with authoritarian policy which mandates mass vaccinations 

"for the overall good of the State," which leaves some people dead, and in chronic health due to "adverse effects".

Too bad, they say, ***** happens, get over it!

But that same use of authoritarian power, for "the good of the State", when it results in a very few people being wrongly arrested is considered an outrage, by these same people.

Which is what some sane, rational, logical people have been pointing out in the COVID and Climate Change threads.

Namely, once you give authoritarians unlimited power over a population's human rights, it can be used in many ways, even against the those same supporters of the "powers that be, who know best"!

Be careful what you wish for!

Edited by trastrick