Golliwogs Causing Controversy.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Pity cheerful landlords aren't the in thing:

Grays Essex pub owner Chris Ryley refuses to take down Golliwog dolls |  Metro News

I've been to some odd pubs in my time, but this is a bit strange. BTW, I would have the same opinion if these were teddy bears or clowns. I understand that a pub may sometimes seem as though it's an extension of a home but this is a bit too far along those lines for me. 

Just now, S35_2o21 said:

I've been to some odd pubs in my time, but this is a bit strange. BTW, I would have the same opinion if these were teddy bears or clowns. I understand that a pub may sometimes seem as though it's an extension of a home but this is a bit too far along those lines for me. 

This tweet from the landlord is rather illuminating on his views:

21 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

I'm not offended by them. I wouldn't want to go in to a pub where these dolls were on display. I doubt any publican is going to be bothered what I think though. I don't think these kinds of items send a very good message about the people who own the business. Why a business owner would want to put off any potential customers is beyond me. 

Why should it put off any potential customers?   They are only dolls, not man eating animals so they are not dangerous, and not sexually suggestive either.

They do seem capable though, of showing up some strange quirks in certain peoples psychology.  Always very right wing,  anti-freedom, Tory voters funnily enough.

Edited by Organgrinder