Golliwogs Causing Controversy.

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Any licensee that has that condition of entry, quite frankly wouldnt remain a licensee for very long.

What condition of entry? I assume if her husband has held the license for 17 years, they know the terms and wouldn't break them - methinks 'cressida' is seeing something that isn't there, and you are using your wooden spoon - again.

2 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

My initial thoughts were that these were strange things to have in a pub. If collecting these items are a hobby, why put them on a display in an area where members of the public see them. I would think that if the items were railway carriages or dolls, so I'm not just picking up on them just because they are gollywogs. I think the landlady is being provocative by having these on display. 

Disagree - merely because I don't understand this 'I'm offended for...' culture.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

What condition of entry? I assume if her husband has held the license for 17 years, they know the terms and wouldn't break them - methinks 'cressida' is seeing something that isn't there, and you are using your wooden spoon - again.

Cressida asked "does she allow mixed race people into her pub". I merely stated if she didnt, she wouldnt be a licensee for very long.

Thats it. Nothing else to read into it and no spoon out.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Cressida asked "does she allow mixed race people into her pub". I merely stated if she didnt, she wouldnt be a licensee for very long.

Thats it. Nothing else to read into it.

Fair enough - although I'm still mystified as to why she asked it?

6 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

My initial thoughts were that these were strange things to have in a pub. If collecting these items are a hobby, why put them on a display in an area where members of the public see them. I would think that if the items were railway carriages or dolls, so I'm not just picking up on them just because they are gollywogs. I think the landlady is being provocative by having these on display. 

Thats what a lot of this is about, a perceived victimhood, the so i'm going to do it just to poke the bear mentality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Disagree - merely because I don't understand this 'I'm offended for...' culture.

I'm not offended by them. I wouldn't want to go in to a pub where these dolls were on display. I doubt any publican is going to be bothered what I think though. I don't think these kinds of items send a very good message about the people who own the business. Why a business owner would want to put off any potential customers is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

I'm not offended by them. I wouldn't want to go in to a pub where these dolls were on display. I doubt any publican is going to be bothered what I think though. I don't think these kinds of items send a very good message about the people who own the business. Why a business owner would want to put off any potential customers is beyond me. 

Fair enough - although it wouldn't worry me.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You would need to ask her that, I agree it was an odd question. No pub owner would ever go on record with a policy like that.

I have - indirectly, but I doubt @cressidawill be back to reply - she tends to pop in, post an irrelevant comment and then disappear.