Golliwogs Causing Controversy.

7 hours ago, trastrick said:

I was responding to this bit of naivety:

"First of all I ask myself, why would they lie? What possible benefits could be gained by the media making up a story."

Okay, it's a pity you didn't read on because that would've given the report some context.

On 19/04/2023 at 13:54, Mister M said:

First of all I ask myself, why would they lie? What possible benefits could be gained by the media making up a story.

I'd also know that death certificates are legal documents.

We know the mortality figures from the Registrars.

I've also heard on the radio, not 5 live - on LBC, conversations with the host and members of the public talking, as one black lady did yesterday, of her daughter who died while giving birth. Other black callers talking about their experiences of not being given pain relief when giving birth.

As well as race possibly being being a factor in the mortality statistics there are other socio-economic background, pre-existing health conditions of the woman etc. It's something that should be and needs to be looked into.

The parliamentary report looked into this:

See Paragraph 19

Black maternal health - Women and Equalities Committee (parliament.uk)

In context I was responding to a forummer who stated:

but the media and vested interests are saying it's due to racism, and you don't question it, then push the narrative with guardian links

(post 211 of this thread).

Edited by Mister M

19 hours ago, trastrick said:

You are aware that the conversation I was having was regarding the report on black women being 4 times likely to die in childbirth?

The distressing statistic that black women are 4 times more  likely to die from pregnancy related issues is noted.

In my country considered to be a "black" country, the rate of pregnancy related mortality is up to 8 times the rate in the U.S.

Since there's no systemic racism here, there must be other risk factors.

Edited by trastrick

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

Says a lot about them that they'd rather be forced to shut down rather than just remove the dolls!

The dolls had been seized anyway, there was no decision to make in that regard.