Golliwogs Causing Controversy.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

its to do with anger rather than colour...or race, its about whining and whinging

That's how I read it. 

In 20 / 30 years time people of all colours will accuse each other of being 'gammony', meaning "why are you being angry?"

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

That's how I read it. 

In 20 / 30 years time people of all colours will accuse each other of being 'gammony', meaning "why are you being angry?"

its nothing more than the usual tropes the right use as a weapon, calling somebody a gammon is not denigrating the whole white race, just an angry one, as you say black folk can be angry too, i presume when theyre angry their skin colour can change too, tbh ive not looked in depth, but Suella Braverman is a gammon too.

Just now, melthebell said:

its nothing more than the usual tropes the right use as a weapon, calling somebody a gammon is not denigrating the whole white race, just an angry one, as you say black folk can be angry too, i presume when theyre angry their skin colour can change too, tbh ive not looked in depth, but Suella Braverman is a gammon too.

:thumbsup:

I think it's as much about how language changes

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It's usually white,

Snipped 

Correction. 

Always white. It's s slur directed at white people.

38 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Snipped 

So now that you have seen them?

His pub. His twitter account. He can display what he wants and post what he wants as far as I'm concerned. 

59 minutes ago, melthebell said:

why cos theyre pink and angry?

23 minutes ago, melthebell said:

its to do with anger rather than colour...or race, its about whining and whinging

Anger rather than colour?

Yet you posted referencing a colour 🤔 

I haven't read the whole thread, but it sounds to me like the Landlady is trying to make a point. Mostly about the stupidity of 'Hate Crime' law, which is one of the worst, most ill-defined pieces of legislation ever. Hate crime is pretty much whatever the police decide it is, and a canny lawyer can defend or prosecute successfully for either. They must be rubbing their hands in glee. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Correction. 

Always white. It's s slur directed at white people.

His pub. His twitter account. He can display what he wants and post what he wants as far as I'm concerned. 

Anger rather than colour?

Yet you posted referencing a colour 🤔 

no, originally i mentioned the word Gammons, you brought colour into it, gammons is about being angry about stuff, angry people can be any colour, gammons isnt about all white people, im white, i wouldnt consider myself a gammon, i dont walk about scowling and being angry 24/7

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S35_2o21 said:

I'm not offended by them. I wouldn't want to go in to a pub where these dolls were on display. I doubt any publican is going to be bothered what I think though. I don't think these kinds of items send a very good message about the people who own the business. Why a business owner would want to put off any potential customers is beyond me. 

some pubs have displays of teapots.....are there any teapot haters out there,some have kettles.....any kettle haters.....some have toys....any toy haters!So why does some idiot feel the need to report a golliwog display and even worse why on earth are the police involved?If a plank is offended by a doll there is no hope!!!!

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

no, originally i mentioned the word Gammons, you brought colour into it, gammons is about being angry about stuff, angry people can be any colour, gammons isnt about all white people, im white, i wouldnt consider myself a gammon, i dont walk about scowling and being angry 24/7

But you said pink. 

Personally I don't think you are a gammon either.

Racist maybe but gammon? 

No, 

• Haha 1

Just now, The_DADDY said:

But you said pink. 

Personally I don't think you are a gammon either.

Racist maybe but gammon? 

No, 

in that case yeah i said they were pink and angry, that doesnt mean i call all white folk pink and angry, when you get angry your skin pigmentation does alter, thats the point, like i said ive never looked close enough but im sure black folks skin changes pigmentation when angry too.

its all about the anger, not the colour

5 minutes ago, dsweetman said:

So why does some idiot feel the need to report a golliwog display 

if you dont know the history of the golliwog and why some people might be offended you need to think a little bit more and maybe do some reading.