Braziers

I have always loved braziers , The night watchman with his braziers glowing in the dark .

Also the winter warmers consisting of a can wi holes in it attached to a long wire and then slung around with glowing flame spotting my out on

a frosty day. 

I once got the word brazier mixed up with brassier  at school and the teacher beat me up for uttering the lady garment word while reading out loud but he was a twaaaati 

Jimmy Child’s the demolition man sacked my brother in law Tom Hegarty for making a winter warmer one cold day in January, said “if that wants a warm get to West Street tha can lean ont radiator “ 

The teacher who beat me up was called Gratton he was at Prince Edwards school on the Manor top, He ripped my eye  spy badge off saying I was backward and and shunt be in the eye spy club .

24 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I have always loved braziers , The night watchman with his braziers glowing in the dark .

Also the winter warmers consisting of a can wi holes in it attached to a long wire and then slung around with glowing flame spotting my out on

a frosty day. 

I once got the word brazier mixed up with brassier  at school and the teacher beat me up for uttering the lady garment word while reading out loud but he was a twaaaati 

During the winter months I use to travel up and down Greenland Rd on a regular basis..

Now I think it was a company called Keetons?

And their workers were on strike for what seemed like about 100yrs

Day and night they could be seen huddled around the Braziers.

That Brazier burned longer than the Olympic Torch.

52 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

a frosty day. 

What a welcome sight on the way home on a winters day, when the 3 or 4 heavy paper carrier bags  with the string handles cutting into your gloveless hands on the way up Heeley Green, with "the rations".

Didn't need a shopping list, learned it like everything else by rote, "Sugar, butter, marge, lard, bacon, cheese, eggs", then , "tea, bread, flour and taters". "some corned beef and a bit o' beef".

Or later, pushing an old pram up the hill wi a bit a coil  from Auntie Margarets. praying that the lads and lasses from school weren't about.

Being self educated from books, pronounced a lot of words wrong because I'd never heard them actually spoken in Heeley and the Arbourthorne.: mishap, Coperneekus, Urainus, Socraiteese etc

When I got older and talked to educated folks, they alway gently corrected me, "you mean......"

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

What a welcome sight on the way home on a winters day, when the 3 or 4 heavy paper carrier bags  with the string handles cutting into your gloveless hands on the way up Heeley Green, with "the rations".

Didn't need a shopping list, learned it like everything else by rote, "Sugar, butter, marge, lard, bacon, cheese, eggs", then , "tea, bread, flour and taters". "some corned beef and a bit o' beef".

Or later, pushing an old pram up the hill wi a bit a coil  from Auntie Margarets. praying that the lads and lasses from school weren't about.

Being self educated from books, pronounced a lot of words wrong because I'd never heard them actually spoken in Heeley and the Arbourthorne.: mishap, Coperneekus, Urainus, Socraiteese etc

When I got older and talked to educated folks, they alway gently corrected me, "you mean......"

same here