Are Irish Americans Americans .

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

If you mean that America needed to defeat Britain in order to become a sovereign republic you might have a point about the ' importance '. On the other hand if you mean impact upon  American culture you are way off.

An Irishman from County Wexford Commodore John Barry was acknowledged together with John Paul Jones as being the founder of the US navy. https://thenewamerican.com/john-barry-true-father-of-the-american-navy/ 

58% of all Medals of Honor awarded up to 2009 by America were awarded to Irish-Americans.

Both of Henry Fords parents were born in Ireland

The film industry which has made America famous throughout the world was dominated by the Irish and the Jews. 

John Ford, Spencer Tracy, Gregory Peck, Maureen O Hara, James Cagney, Tyrone Power, Gene Kelly and a whole host of others were the people that helped give Hollywood its preeminence and had such influence on peoples attitude to America.

Those are just a few examples of Irish influence in America, 

Don't take my word for it, take the word of an African- American who loves Britain, lives here married an Englishman and has been awarded an OBE. 

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news-bonnie-greer-by-picking-a-fight-with-ireland-the-uk-40432/

It was an Englishman called William Penn who is responsible for making the America the civilised country it is today.  He founded Philadelphia which was the capital city of America.

16 minutes ago, Axe said:

It was an Englishman called William Penn who is responsible for making the America the civilised country it is today.  He founded Philadelphia which was the capital city of America.

So would his family describe them selves as English Americans in the present age ???? .

Some of My family originated in Germany  around 150 years ago , I have never heard any of them refer to them selves as remotely German , In fact the opposite as they are all proud to be English .

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

So would his family describe them selves as English Americans in the present age ???? .

Some of My family originated in Germany  around 150 years ago , I have never heard any of them refer to them selves as remotely German , In fact the opposite as they are all proud to be English .

Folk with English decedents around the World do not feel the need to make a fuss about their family history.   It is a mystery to me why anyone would want to admit to having Irish decedents. The only good statesman to be born in Ireland was Arthur Wellesley  who was educated at Eaton and became British prime minister as well as his military achievements. The Irish government were cowards for remaining neutral during World War II.  

“I can only pray”, he concluded, “that in years I shall not see, the shame will be forgotten and the glories will endure and the people of the British Isles and of the British Commonwealth will walk together in mutual comprehension and forgiveness.”

Winston Churchill

Edited by Axe

1 hour ago, Axe said:

William Penn founded Philadelphia and the state of Pennsylvania , he was an impressive man and a Quacke,r but to claim he was responsible for making America the civilised country it is today is stretching things far too much.

Also he wasn't completely English, his mother was Dutch, so only half English! 

21 minutes ago, Axe said:

Folk with English decedents around the World do not feel the need to make a fuss about their family history.   It is a mystery to me why anyone would want to admit to having Irish decedents. The only good statesman to be born in Ireland was Arthur Wellesley  who was educated at Eaton and became British prime minister as well as his military achievements. The Irish government were cowards for remaining neutral during World War II.  

Perhaps given the fact that England/Britain has invaded or been at war with all but 22 of the 196 sovereign states in the world they feel that keeping a low profile might be the sensible thing to do? *

What are Irish decedents?  If you meant descendents it makes no sense whatsoever as surely you meant ancestors or forebears?

The answer to that mystery of yours is that anyone who has a decent knowledge of Irelands history would be proud to have a connection. Those ignorant of it have no idea what they're talking about, hence the mystery.

If you're interested take a look at de Valera's response to Churchill. He made his point and as thousands of Irishmen joined both the British and American armies to fight Germany and thousands lost their lives Ireland has nothing to be ashamed of. 

https://theirishrising.blogspot.com/2012/06/eamon-de-valeras-response-to-winston.html

* It was many years ago when I learned that fact. When I first heard it the Irish half of me thought " Bloody typical, sailing round the world interfering with other countries freedoms."

The English half of me then thought " Only 22?  Seems a shame, this is do-able, hold my beer! "

57 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I do know that every American I met in New York claimed to be part Irish.

And every Irish person I met at some point in their life lived on the same street as Bono.

Bono is not held in the highest regard by the Irish. He should stick to music and stop giving his opinions which no one asked for is the general feeling about him.

Every American I met in New York claimed to be Irish or Italian or German, apart from one guy who told me he was Irish-German but American none the less.

34 minutes ago, m williamson said:

William Penn founded Philadelphia and the state of Pennsylvania , he was an impressive man and a Quacke,r but to claim he was responsible for making America the civilised country it is today is stretching things far too much.

Also he wasn't completely English, his mother was Dutch, so only half English! 

Chuffen eck , We can't have owt to our sens .