Are Irish Americans Americans .

5 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Good un, All Liverpool is any way.

Strange fact, Liverpool is the only city in England to have a street named after a battle that the British lost. Fontenoy Street is named after the Battle of Fontenoy a battle fought in the War of Austrian Succession in Belgium in 1745. There were 50,000 men on each side.

The British were in what appeared to be an impregnable position on high ground with a square reinforced with cannon proving impossible to penetrate. Wave after wave of French attacks were repulsed by the British and their Hanoverian allies.

The French were about to withdraw when the Irish Colonel John Lally ( later to become a Field Marshal ) persuaded the General in charge to let his Irish Brigade have a crack at the square.

The Irish Brigade marched up the hill and held fire until they were at close quarters, Fierce hand to hand combat followed and the British and Hanovarians broke and fled the field. The Duke of Cumberland was in charge of the British contingent.

The thing was there were Irishmen on both sides and when it got to hand to hand fighting they realised on many occasions they were killing their own.

There is the madness of warfare.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Strange fact, Liverpool is the only city in England to have a street named after a battle that the British lost. Fontenoy Street is named after the Battle of Fontenoy a battle fought in the War of Austrian Succession in Belgium in 1745. There were 50,000 men on each side.

The British were in what appeared to be an impregnable position on high ground with a square reinforced with cannon proving impossible to penetrate. Wave after wave of French attacks were repulsed by the British and their Hanoverian allies.

The French were about to withdraw when the Irish Colonel John Lally ( later to become a Field Marshal ) persuaded the General in charge to let his Irish Brigade have a crack at the square.

The Irish Brigade marched up the hill and held fire until they were at close quarters, Fierce hand to hand combat followed and the British and Hanovarians broke and fled the field. The Duke of Cumberland was in charge of the British contingent.

The thing was there were Irishmen on both sides and when it got to hand to hand fighting they realised on many occasions they were killing their own.

There is the madness of warfare.

loving this thread , history is fascinating ,.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

You must have been  a youngster , I was 20 when they appeared at the Azena and a member of the St Aidans youth club on City Road , The Beatles where originally booked to appear there but were moved to the Azena after they appeared on TV , People say Pete Stringfellow was responsible for the gig but the bloke I remember at St Aidans was called Terry Thornton . He was  on the door , took entrance money into a wooden cash tray and chucked you out if you messed around .  He also stamped the back of your hand with a ink pad  incase you tried to sneek in ,    I believe he was a character in years following .

Me and Slinney were also members of the club 60 club on Shalesmoor , it was in a cellar , We saw Dave Berry and Frank White perform there . Frank was the best guitar man who ever lived and a smashing bloke as well . RIP  Frank miss you .

Club 60 Saturday night. Locarno Sunday night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crookesey said:

I’m in my mid (soon to be late) seventies, every scouser of a similar age that I come into contact with, has a tale to tell of their personal experience with one or more members of The Beatles.

And every Scouser I've  come into contact with , thinks they're a comedian  but they aren't. Same as anyone from London , knew the Krays  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

And every Scouser I've  come into contact with , thinks they're a comedian  but they aren't. Same as anyone from London , knew the Krays  :rolleyes:

Some folk go out of their way to know dodgy people , can never weigh that up , whats the point .

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Dave Berry developed his arm movements style because the roof above the stage in Club 60 was so low.

There used to be a lad who was a good dancer and took over the floor on his own at times.

Used watch Dave at the Leeds Arms at Kiveton also Birley Hotel . I tried to date his sister she was a foot bigger than me ,  a Dave lookalike .  I got knock back . She slipped up big time LOL.

Edited by cuttsie

Just now, cressida said:

Didn't think George was,  surname Harrison sounds English.

I've got an English surname and my descendents are Irish Travellers (great grandfather on my mums side) and Italian (both grandparents on my dad's side). 

I think...... I've had a drink so it could be the other way around. 

• Haha 1