Rents Rising By 11%

21 hours ago, Padders said:

Anna, 

After 13 years of Tory rule every aspect of our lives has deteriorated, everything...

Standard of living is at an all time low, the poor have got poorer, every service is in crisis...

Bills have gone through the roof.

And yet, there are still people who defend them?

I can't understand it, I really can't..

If Labour win the next general election after a few years you could repost this by just changing one word   LOL.

22 minutes ago, geared said:

The bill will do little to nothing on the problem of sky high rents.  There's simply too many people fighting over too few properties.

They Tories have been fiddling with the market and essentially made it un-profitable unless you've got a very large number of properties.  Squeezing the small time landlords out of the market.

Surprise surprise, when all those places came off the market the rent prices shot up.  What a nice little present to the affluent Tory donors with extensive property portfolios.

There are other factors,

Rising population and immigration.

Rents paid by benefits.

5 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There are other factors,

Rents paid by benefits.

There's loads of extra factors, quite a number have switched from renting to Air BnB as the yield is better.

but the nub of the issue is low availability and high demand.

21 hours ago, cressida said:

Well there was this,   

How much did the Covid pandemic cost UK government?

First, he has extended the virus-related rescue support to households, businesses and public services by a further £44.3 billion, taking its total cost to £344 billion.

you meant to say how much did the government steal from us during the pandemic

47 minutes ago, geared said:

There's loads of extra factors, quite a number have switched from renting to Air BnB as the yield is better.

but the nub of the issue is low availability and high demand.

I fully agree.

Why aren’t the council/government building prefab style housing.

39 minutes ago, melthebell said:

you meant to say how much did the government steal from us during the pandemic

How much did the government steal from you personally ?

54 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

If Labour win the next general election after a few years you could repost this by just changing one word   LOL.

There are other factors,

Rents paid by benefits.

I understand many on benefits are paid a rent allowance that is lower than the rent they have to pay.

That should in theory have a downward pressure on rent prices, but there are just too few houses.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

I understand many on benefits are paid a rent allowance that is lower than the rent they have to pay.

That should in theory have a downward pressure on rent prices, but there are just too few houses.

Changes to benefits by the Tories didn't help.

Previously the landlord could apply for the housing benefit to be paid straight to them.  That way the landlord knew what to expect and the risk of rent arrears was drastically reduced.

Tories came in and changed it, more people fell into arrears, less landlords would take on people on benefits (despite what the law might say)

All in all the change made nothing better and soured the market.

On 13/04/2023 at 09:59, Axe said:

It is not a surprise rents have increased by a big margin when interest rates have gone up.  The bigger issue is rents will not go down when interest rates fall which is likely to happen soon. 

It isn't just the rises in interest rates, it's as much that being a landlord is becoming more and more of a PITA. All the time they are introducing more and more regulations and hoops to jump through and the balance of power between the tenant and landlord has long been totally skewed in favour of the tenant. I would not advise anyone to become a landlord, and I am only one because the shop I bought has two flats over it.

How do Labour intend to imrove things ?

Oh yes, introduce even more regulations and give the tenants even more power.

Idiots.

This was all discussed here :

Edited by Chekhov

On 19/04/2023 at 09:44, Chekhov said:

It isn't just the rises in interest rates, it's as much that being a landlord is becoming more and more of a PITA. All the time they are introducing more and more regulations and hoops to jump through and the balance of power between the tenant and landlord has long been totally skewed in favour of the tenant. I would not advise anyone to become a landlord, and I am only one because the shop I bought has two flats over it.

How do Labour intend to imrove things ?

Oh yes, introduce even more regulations and give the tenants even more power.

Idiots.

This was all discussed here :

Spot on Chekhov. 

On 13/04/2023 at 12:56, cressida said:

Well there was this,   

How much did the Covid pandemic cost UK government?

First, he has extended the virus-related rescue support to households, businesses and public services by a further £44.3 billion, taking its total cost to £344 billion.

The interesting thing is Covid is still with us, people are still going into hospital with it, it's still infectious in spite of the vaccine, yet it's all but being ignored now, so was all the panic, hype and horror really necessary? Not to mention the damage to the economy and the expense?

According to Peston, Rent inflation is now up 15%

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The interesting thing is Covid is still with us, people are still going into hospital with it, it's still infectious in spite of the vaccine, yet it's all but being ignored now, so was all the panic, hype and horror really necessary? Not to mention the damage to the economy and the expense?

Yes it was and the COVID thread goes through this in length