Travel Through London

One for any with a real insight into the question.

I regularly travel from Sheffield to Brighton via London St. Pancras, and have to pass through two barriers each way, to/from the EMR  platforms 1 - 4 on the top level and the Thameslink platforms A - B on the 'underground' level. I always had massive problems getting through any of the STP barriers, and the ones at Brighton with the card tickets as for some reason the readers at these southern stations were unable to process them, meaning I had to use the manned gates, which especially at STP are always rammed with passengers asking questions, resulting in quite an extended transfer time.

However, when I made the three return journeys between August last  year and January this, miraculously I was given the option of e-tickets, which had no problems anywhere, and I finally thoughtsense had prevailed. Unfortunately I was wrong - I have recently just booked for my next trip, and guess what - because I could, in theory, use the Underground from St. Pancras to Victoria (who would want to?) and TfL are so far behind the times that they are 'unable to process e-tickets', I am now back in the slow lane!! Ridiculous!

Come on, Saddiq Khan - sort it out - you seem good at sorting problems. 🤣

I would think that TfL dont have any dominion over the barriers on the "Thameslink" platforms, though. That would be whatever TOC runs it these days.

StP is one of the few stations operated by Network Rail themselves.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would think that TfL dont have any dominion over the barriers on the "Thameslink" platforms, though. That would be whatever TOC runs it these days.

StP is one of the few stations operated by Network Rail themselves.

TfL don't control the barriers at STP and I never said they did. By the way, I know quite well how the rail system works - been using it most of my life, and if I have a problem, I know someone who can answer most issues, although he may struggle slightly with the TfL 'system' as he worked for British Rail.

My issue is that for some reason, any journey I make that involves travelling through London on the rail network has this issue with the paper tickets, but not with e-tickets.

As a fairly frequent user of the MML transfer to Thameslink services from A. I always head for the gateline staff  and 'show' my through ticket/e-tickets(I print out any mobile tickets). Yes there is an occasional delay but as I am with luggage/family it is easier and fullproof.

A Sheffield to Kent/Sussex advance ticket does not show times for onward trains from London so you can spend an hour or two around St Pancras or Victoria for a good lunch etc.

If travelling to Gatwick with luggage and expect to be in London during rush hours travelling via Doncaster and Stevenage takes 15 minutes longer is often cheaper and does not require a change in London or the use of any barriers except Gatwick.

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As a fairly frequent user of the MML transfer to Thameslink services from A. I always head for the gateline staff  and 'show' my through ticket/e-tickets(I print out any mobile tickets). Yes there is an occasional delay but as I am with luggage/family it is easier and fullproof.

A Sheffield to Kent/Sussex advance ticket does not show times for onward trains from London so you can spend an hour or two around St Pancras or Victoria for a good lunch etc.

If travelling to Gatwick with luggage and expect to be in London during rush hours travelling via Doncaster and Stevenage takes 15 minutes longer is often cheaper and does not require a change in London or the use of any barriers except Gatwick.

Fair enough - I did and will now always go for the gateline staff when using a 'paper' ticket, but for the period July 2022 - January 2023 when I was using e-tickets, I had no issue scanning the barcode through the unmanned gates.

I'm aware I can spend as long in London as I wish on my Sheffield-Kent/Sussex trips, but I prefer to get through London as quickly as possible.

I'm not travelling to Gatwick from Sheffield - although the STP-Brighton service passes through GTW.  IF I was going to GTW, I am aware of the Doncaster/Stevenage option if I was going to GTW, but I'm not.

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm not travelling to Gatwick from Sheffield - although the STP-Brighton service passes through GTW.  IF I was going to GTW, I am aware of the Doncaster/Stevenage option if I was going to GTW, but I'm not.

In theory you could get on the Brighton train at Luton, Luton Parkway or Bedford, issue is no London trains from Sheffield generally stop at any of the three so you would have to change at Leicester. All a bit faffy for a few mins potential inconvenience at the StP barriers, imo.  

Anyway back to the issue at hand: pretty sure I did see a thread on UK Rail Forums on this issue, but havent looked for a number of weeks.

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

In theory you could get on the Brighton train at Luton, Luton Parkway or Bedford, issue is no London trains from Sheffield generally stop at any of the three so you would have to change at Leicester. All a bit faffy for a few mins potential inconvenience at the StP barriers, imo.  

Anyway back to the issue at hand: pretty sure I did see a thread on UK Rail Forums on this issue, but havent looked for a number of weeks.

I always go for the fastest route possible, so switching at Leicester is not a sensible option, or one I would choose. The 'inconvenience' is now factored into my schedules ,and if I have any queries on options on the day, I have a very helpful/knowledgable person usually on the end of a phone or iPad. Has come in useful on the very odd time there have been hold-ups.

No  problem - I'll have a look at UK Rail this afternoon or sometime in the very near future.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'll be over visiting Sheffield from Canada September this year. We land at Gatwick in the morning and then looking to take a train to Sheffield. 

Is Thameslink to St. Pancras the best option ?

How far in advance can I book tickets (have been looking at the trainline.com website)