Travel Through London

Monday-Friday the the Thameslink is best route and change at St Pancras.

There is some engineering work on Saturdays and Sundays which may mean travel via Kings Cross(next door to St Pancras) and Doncaster. Never use Trainline they charge a fee. East Midlands Railway will sell you the cheapest ticket but you could buy two tickets 'splitting' at St Pancras. Try https://trainsplit.com/

Monday-Friday Advance tickets are on sale 12 weeks beforehand - must be used on the train named on the ticket.

Weekend tickets later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, badab1ng said:

Do prices vary dependent upon when I book within the 12 week booking period ?  Would it be best to book early or wait for a last minute deal ?

Earlier the better as the  EMR railway company only releases a certain number of the discounted tickets at each price level. If you look at their website you will see that Friday 7th July it the 'horizon' with the cheapest fares being £24 30( £36.00 first class) from London to Sheffield at 1302.  You can sign up for an e-mail alert for when they're available to book. Remember it is an Advance Single and is only available on the specified train. There are NO refunds and you will pay another £116 on top if you miss it (unless you can show your connecting train from Gatwick was late, I always buy the tickets together as the show an itinerary for the journey). If your plane is late/delayed at airport, then you could make a claim on your travel insurance

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/04/2023 at 19:21, Annie Bynnol said:

Earlier the better as the  EMR railway company only releases a certain number of the discounted tickets at each price level. If you look at their website you will see that Friday 7th July it the 'horizon' with the cheapest fares being £24 30( £36.00 first class) from London to Sheffield at 1302.  You can sign up for an e-mail alert for when they're available to book. Remember it is an Advance Single and is only available on the specified train. There are NO refunds and you will pay another £116 on top if you miss it (unless you can show your connecting train from Gatwick was late, I always buy the tickets together as the show an itinerary for the journey). If your plane is late/delayed at airport, then you could make a claim on your travel insurance

Thank you I'm looking at First class seats. When I make a booking it says I can sit in any  unreserved first class seats.

What if no first class seats are available when I board the train ? (do they over book ?)

How can I reserve a first class seat ? ( there's nothing on the EMR website that allows me to do this)

1 hour ago, badab1ng said:

Thank you I'm looking at First class seats. When I make a booking it says I can sit in any  unreserved first class seats.

What if no first class seats are available when I board the train ? (do they over book ?)

How can I reserve a first class seat ? ( there's nothing on the EMR website that allows me to do this)

This page offers some suggestions

https://eastmidlandsrailway.train-help.com/en/support/solutions/articles/78000000251-how-do-i-reserve-a-seat-

I would suggest based on that September (assuming that is what you were looking at) isn't within 12 weeks.  Maybe leave it a bit longer and see if cheaper tickers are released at the 12 week stage? 

Also remember that between Gatwick and St Pancras there either will be no first class or its merely a couple of tables in a seperate area with no real perks. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

This page offers some suggestions

https://eastmidlandsrailway.train-help.com/en/support/solutions/articles/78000000251-how-do-i-reserve-a-seat-

I would suggest based on that September (assuming that is what you were looking at) isn't within 12 weeks.  Maybe leave it a bit longer and see if cheaper tickers are released at the 12 week stage? 

Also remember that between Gatwick and St Pancras there either will be no first class or its merely a couple of tables in a seperate area with no real perks. 

The above is very good advice.

In addition, be careful not to insist on first class throughout as you may find that the booking engine you use buys the first class on the far more expensive Gatwick Express to/from Victoria-this saves no time as you need to use the underground.

Currently no advance tickets are on sale beyond Aug 9th and no seats reservable.

To reduce the risk of  missing your train from London, purchase a later departure from London but use an 'anytime off peak' from Gatwick. If early go to the Betjeman at St Pancras.

• Like 1