Smartphones For Kids, Do They All Have Them At Secondary School ?

I was out for the day with my 10 year old last week and were waiting in Leeds station for our connection when I happened to look over at a mother (or young grandmother) with her two kids also waiting for a train. Both her kids had Smartphones and were engrossed in them, there was no conversation going on between any of them. It was thoroughly depressing as it reminded me that sooner or later we feel we are going to have to buy our child a Smartphone and that is what we will be fighting against. I really really do not want our lad to have one*, in fact the thought of it depresses me, but are we right that by the time he gets to Secondary school pretty much all the kids will have one and the odd child who does not may get picked on ?

*  he will never be off it and it'll be arguments all the soddin' time. It's like that now when he's on the laptops but at least he usually has to do something positive (e.g. homework or reading)  to get on there and, significantly, we control access to them via the passwords or, ultimately, just switching off the WiFi !

Edited by Chekhov

Flaming menace this technology, bin the lot ...

Seems to me everybody is now staring into their phones..

What happened to the Clacker balls, Pogo Sticks, Skipping ropes, Rubiks cube, Scooters, Pea shooters, Catapults..

Lets turn the clock back.........

17 minutes ago, Padders said:

What happened to the Clacker balls, Pogo Sticks, Skipping ropes, Rubiks cube, Scooters, Pea shooters, Catapults..

Everything apart from the Rubik cube you mentioned will keep the A&E busy.  :hihi:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Health and safety is what happened the irony is these kids will still be texting and surfing when they are driving cars.

3 hours ago, Padders said:

What happened to the Clacker balls, Pogo Sticks, Skipping ropes, Rubiks cube, Scooters, Pea shooters, Catapults, and talking and experiencing stuff together. Even just watching TV together is more sociable......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geared said:

Should be some good parental control apps to keep a bit of an eye on what's going on.

They'll all be on social media and messaging apps tho, it's life now.

I hadn't even got around to worrying about what he was on, just the fact he's on anything focussed on that little soddin' screen to the exclusion of everything else (most significantly interacting with people around him) was bad enough.....

He is just getting to the point where he is a bit interested in looking out of the window at the world around us during a train journey, once he gets a bleedin' phone that will be the end of that. Which will annoy me and depress me in equal measure.......

BTW, can we buy a basic phone with a very small data allowance, such that he really needs to use WiFi if he wants to go on it for long periods (which we can turn off) ?

Even better is it possible to still allow phone calls when the data runs out ?