Smartphones For Kids, Do They All Have Them At Secondary School ?

55 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I hadn't even got around to worrying about what he was on, just the fact he's on anything focussed on that little soddin' screen to the exclusion of everything else (most significantly interacting with people around him) was bad enough.....

He is just getting to the point where he is a bit interested in looking out of the window at the world around us during a train journey, once he gets a bleedin' phone that will be the end of that. Which will annoy me and depress me in equal measure.......

BTW, can we buy a basic phone with a very small data allowance, such that he really needs to use WiFi if he wants to go on it for long periods (which we can turn off) ?

Even better is it possible to still allow phone calls when the data runs out ?

You can, its still a smartphone though regardless. 

Phone calls dont use data allowances, nor do text messages.

Edited by HeHasRisen

What about a table tennis table,  a fold-up one,  can play in the back garden  soon,  or a badminton/volley ball net,  we were on holiday and folks were playing volleyball in the swimming pool.

Edited by cressida

A friend of mine's 8 yr old grandson has one, never off it when away from home, seems to be watching some kind of games, all you can hear is some guy with an American accent talking load of rubbish. When at home, it's the X-Box.

Trouble is kids and society in general, have lost touch with their primeval connection to nature. A sustained power outage and city folks can freeze in the dark.

Get your kids out in the country, hiking, fishing, picnicking, camping. Visit a farm, show them where and how the food gets to their table. I'd like to see the schools do more in that area, than fill up their young heads with nonsense.

As our older posters point out in Heeley memories, half our free time was spent out in the woods, satisfying  our genetic relationships with nature, like eons of humans before us.

Finding clay deposits, making and baking pottery (touch burners) fabricating weapons, spears, bows and arrows, catapults pea shooters, fishing poles etc.

My son went the whole hog, back to nature, and I never got him into an office environment ever again. A wasted economics degree.

But he can track animals, live rough in the woods, and forage for enough food to keep him healthy.  He can identify any wild plant, berry, or mushroom.

He's happy there.

He' likes his GPS, but never really needed it before it came out, and doesn't miss it when the battery runs down.

Edited by trastrick

5 hours ago, MJ01 said:

Take your son swimming or something like that 

He goes swimming 3 or 4 times a week........

7 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Anything that kids quiet is a win for me, especially on flights.

I think it's really sad seeing all (or the large majority) of kids on devices during flights. Only a few years ago most would be talking to each other and generally being sociable.

Not now.

I worry what effect all this will have on people's social skills.

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

He goes swimming 3 or 4 times a week........

I think it's really sad seeing all (or the large majority) of kids on devices during flights. Only a few years ago most would be talking to each other and generally being sociable.

Not now.

I worry what effect all this will have on people's social skills.

In general I agree, but on flights kids should be given anything that stops them screaming and running up and down the aisle ruining the flight for everyone else.

If this fails then their parents should be banned from flying.

17 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

In general I agree, but on flights kids should be given anything that stops them screaming and running up and down the aisle ruining the flight for everyone else.

If this fails then their parents should be banned from flying.

The kids should be put in the overhead locker.

• Haha 1