Smartphones For Kids, Do They All Have Them At Secondary School ?

Just now, Chekhov said:

He goes swimming 3 or 4 times a week........

I think it's really sad seeing all (or the large majority) of kids on devices during flights. Only a few years ago most would be talking to each other and generally being sociable.

Not now.

I worry what effect all this will have on people's social skills.

It's interesting to see.

My niece has had a relatively privileged upringing and turned out fine, but her baby, 2 years old has his own tablet and he can swipe, go online for his favorite characters, even before he can talk.

Who knows what his world will be like as a grown up?

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

In general I agree, but on flights kids should be given anything that stops them screaming and running up and down the aisle ruining the flight for everyone else.

If this fails then their parents should be banned from flying.

Obviously nobody, kids included, should be screaming and running down the aisle !

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

It's interesting to see.

My niece has had a relatively privileged upringing and turned out fine, but her baby, 2 years old has his own tablet and he can swipe, go online for his favorite characters, even before he can talk.

Who knows what his world will be like as a grown up?

I would be worried, that's weird.

Edited by Chekhov

My daughter had a mobile at the age of five, but eighteen years ago they were just for texting. So kids have had smartphones for around ten years. The next generation will get even less exercise and be poor communicators.

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I would be worried, that's weird.

I'm past worrying about life!

But if folks want to worry about something, they should consider what a war, severe economic disruption,  even a Green New Deal, can do to a supply chain that has been developed and finely tuned, over the last couple hundred years..

No parts, closed factories, rust belts, forgotten skills, leading to dark ages.

It's happened before in the Middle East, Egypt, Greece, and Rome, herders grazing flocks over a landscape filled with decaying, once mighty monuments, who nobody understands what they were for, or even who built them.

It may be inevitable!