Not So Smart Motorways

The only sensible thing to do is to re-instate the hard shoulder to all motorways.  The smart motorways will still be able to use the signs to give motorists information.  The Labour party should put  re-introduce the hard shoulder in their general election manifesto if the Tory government fails to do so.

Hard shoulders aren't such safe spaces:

More than 100 killed or injured on the hard shoulder every year

https://uk.motor1.com/news/243508/100-killed-injured-hard-shoulder/

The only reason smart motorways are failing is because people can't use them properly - people stood by their cars in a live lane exchanging insurance details.  People sat in their cars because its raining or cold.

They've been in operation since 2008 - if they were so dangerous then surely figures would be far higher.

Driver ignorance and stupidity is the problem that needs addressing.  I was on the M62 in Cheshire last weekend - lanes 1 & 2 both empty with cars tootling along at 65 mph in lane 3.

6 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Hard shoulders aren't such safe spaces:

More than 100 killed or injured on the hard shoulder every year

https://uk.motor1.com/news/243508/100-killed-injured-hard-shoulder/

The only reason smart motorways are failing is because people can't use them properly - people stood by their cars in a live lane exchanging insurance details.  People sat in their cars because its raining or cold.

They've been in operation since 2008 - if they were so dangerous then surely figures would be far higher.

Driver ignorance and stupidity is the problem that needs addressing.  I was on the M62 in Cheshire last weekend - lanes 1 & 2 both empty with cars tootling along at 65 mph in lane 3.

I agree that the hard shoulder is not a safe place.  It is much safer to drive the car left of the hard shoulder if possible and wait for help outside the car well away.  It also is a fair point that a big problem with these smart motorways is that too many drivers are not smart enough for them to work as planned.

Edited by Axe

52 minutes ago, Axe said:

It also is a fair point that a big problem with these smart motorways is that too many drivers are not smart enough for them to work as planned.

Yes and no.

I agree that the hard shoulder will be less safe than a pull in type refuge that you get on a smart motorway.

BUT, if you are on a motorway with a hard shoulder and you break down there is somewhere you can go instantly and be out of the running lanes. There is none of this having to wait for them to close the lane which is never ever going to be instantaneous even if all the other drivers drive perfectly. If my car has lost power and is coasting down to a stop (and I have had this....) the cars immediately behind you will never be stopped byany system anyway so one is very grateful for a hard shoulder.

Having said all of that, there is a balance to be struck to maximise capacity and minimise delays even if that is at some increased risk. When I am stuck in a "motorway car park" or having to drive along  the M1 at walking pace I would be grateful to be doing even 40mph. So if they had a system where when the motorway was literally grinding to halt they opened the hard shoulder to run at even 40mph surely that can only be  a good thing ?

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

I was on the M62 in Cheshire last weekend - lanes 1 & 2 both empty with cars tootling along at 65 mph in lane 3.

Not that old chestnut.....

It is exceptionally rare to see the situation you describe. In fact it is exceptionally rare to see the insde two lanes empty at all for any significant distance !

It is far more common to see people doing 65 in the middle lane because there are slow moving trucks every quarter of a mile for as far as the eye can see and they do not want to be having to change lanes every minute (or even more poften than that). And I for one do not blame them.

If someone is doing 65 in the middle lane just over take them (at 70mph obviously) in the outside lane. And if you cannot, because it is too full, 65mph is only 5mph under the limit anyway, is it really worth getting worked up about ?

Edited by Chekhov

38 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Not that old chestnut.....

It is exceptionally rare to see the situation you describe. In fact it is exceptionally rare to see the insde two lanes empty at all for any significant distance !

It is far more common to see people doing 65 in the middle lane because there are slow moving trucks every quarter of a mile for as far as the eye can see and they do not want to be having to change lanes every minute (or even more poften than that). And I for one do not blame them.

If someone is doing 65 in the middle lane just over take them (at 70mph obviously) in the outside lane. And if you cannot, because it is too full, 65mph is only 5mph under the limit anyway, is it really worth getting worked up about ?

Nevertheless, a breakdown or emergency requires a hard shoulder to pull onto. Whenever and wherever.

Smart motorways don't provide that and are proven to be dangerous. 

I don’t like driving on the smart motorway when I drive from Newcastle to Sheffield. I should be used to it by now but I’m not.  When I leave the A1 and drive on the link road that takes me on the M1 south of Leeds I don’t feel very confident as I approach the smart motorway.

If your car breaks down on that stretch of motorway you can’t even stand behind the barriers because there is a great big drop, it dangerous. 

When you're travelling along a motorway at 70 mph, (in reality try sticking to 70 & see how many cars fly past you), you don't perceive the speed you & other vehicles are travelling at as you're all moving relatively to each other. 

It's only when you have to pull over to the hard shoulder for some reason & climb over the barrier & hopefully have a grassy bank to climb up to a safe point that you appreciate the speed the other vehicles are moving at. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I don’t like driving on the smart motorway when I drive from Newcastle to Sheffield. I should be used to it by now but I’m not.  When I leave the A1 and drive on the link road that takes me on the M1 south of Leeds I don’t feel very confident as I approach the smart motorway.

If your car breaks down on that stretch of motorway you can’t even stand behind the barriers because there is a great big drop, it dangerous. 

Stay on the A1 and use the M18 towards Sheffield. I know it depends upon which side of Sheffield you need to be but it minimises the amount of time on a smart motorway. 

9 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Stay on the A1 and use the M18 towards Sheffield. I know it depends upon which side of Sheffield you need to be but it minimises the amount of time on a smart motorway. 

Thank you Meltman.  Before they opened the link road from the M1 to the A1 I have been known to use the M18.  I might try it again.   

• Like 1