Not So Smart Motorways

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Sounds like you need a new car if you are driving miles out of your way in fear of breaking down.

As I said "it depends on which side of Sheffield you need to be " but for some places it's not miles out of the way,  it's actually shorter by distance to use the A1 and M18. 

6 minutes ago, Meltman said:

As I said "it depends on which side of Sheffield you need to be " but for some places it's not miles out of the way,  it's actually shorter by distance to use the A1 and M18. 

Well again, it depends. Pin to pin on Google Maps tells me its 42 miles from the point where the M1 and A1 spllit down to the Catcliffe junction if you use the A1/M1 route, compared to 39 miles using the M1.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well again, it depends. Pin to pin on Google Maps tells me its 42 miles from the point where the M1 and A1 spllit down to the Catcliffe junction if you use the A1/M1 route, compared to 39 miles using the M1.

Never rely on Google Maps. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Never rely on Google Maps. 

Behave, are you claiming thats going to be inaccurate?

Find me another source then and prove it wrong.

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Like I said, depends on where you are going to. 

I agree. My point still stands though. If he is avoiding roads merely because he is petrified of breaking down, it sounds like he is driving a rust bucket that is prone to breaking down. Get a new car.

Edited by HeHasRisen

11 minutes ago, Meltman said:

It’s Hillsborough, Sheffield North,  where I tend to stay when I’m in Sheffield.  

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

In which case using the M18/A1 would be ludicrious.

Like I said, the A1/M18 is a better option for some parts but not for Hillsborough, which is obvious!

I don't know what kind of car or its condition that the OP uses so can't comment on whether it's a "rustbucket " or not, but I do know of some people who have new cars and try and avoid motorways (particularly smart ones) if they can. 

Just now, Meltman said:

Like I said, the A1/M18 is a better option for some parts but not for Hillsborough, which is obvious!

I don't know what kind of car or its condition that the OP uses so can't comment on whether it's a "rustbucket " or not, but I do know of some people who have new cars and try and avoid motorways (particularly smart ones) if they can. 

More fool them, as discussed earlier in the thread its more the user being a numpty than the infrastructure themselves.