Not So Smart Motorways

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

More fool them, as discussed earlier in the thread its more the user being a numpty than the infrastructure themselves.

I disagree, who are you to call someone a fool or numpty for choosing to do what they want or prefer? You are not in a position to dictate which route anyone wants to take, for whatever reason.  wether it takes longer, uses more fuel, is faster or slower, is more scenic or is perceived as safer is entirely up to the individual. 

Just now, Meltman said:

I disagree, who are you to call someone a fool or numpty for choosing to do what they want or prefer? You are not in a position to dictate which route anyone wants to take, for whatever reason.  wether it takes longer, uses more fuel, is faster or slower, is more scenic or is perceived as safer is entirely up to the individual. 

I think you need to read my post again, properly this time.

3 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Which post number are you referring to?

I'm referring to your post #30

Indeed, where I am calling the people who break down on smart motorways and then dont follow the correct procedure "numpties", and nobody else.

I thought that was clear from the wording tbh.

Edited by HeHasRisen

No, not clear  it looked like you were calling people who choose to not want to to use motorways "numpties".

I agree, people who don't follow procedures when in  they have to stop on motorways are putting themselves and others at great risk 

Just to be accurate...there are other reasons why someone may need to stop on a motorway, not just "breaking down " but that is splitting hairs.

23 minutes ago, Meltman said:

You need to ignore him.

That is his reason for existence, just to ridicule other posters instead of debating, which is why I have him on permanent ignore. 

19 hours ago, Anna B said:

Nevertheless, a breakdown or emergency requires a hard shoulder to pull onto. Whenever and wherever.

Smart motorways don't provide that and are proven to be dangerous. 

It's risk v benefit.

Using ones stairs is dangerous, statistically, but people have them because it is convenient to have another floor of living accommodation ! Personally I do not want to sit in a  massive queue on the M1 when there is an unused lane over to my left.

Remember dual carriageways (e.g. the A1) have no hard shoulder and still have a 70mph limit.

Motorways being worked on have a 50mph limit (in fact hasn't it been raised to 60mph ? ) and no hard shoulder either. Thus I cannot see why opening the hard shoulder to traffic subject to a 50mph limit could be considered more dangerous.

Edited by Chekhov

57 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Remember dual carriageways (e.g. the A1) have no hard shoulder and still have a 70mph limit.

Well, technically its a NSL road but yes, to most vehicles using it that is 70mph. You make a fair point.

So on this thread we have someone who is seriously considering NOT using the M1 smart motorway, which is monitored by cameras, and instead will go and use the A1, which between Ferrybridge and north of Doncaster (Adwick) is a normal A road, with minimal camera coverage compared to the M1 smart sections, and NO hard shoulder as far as I can remember.

Is this any safer? If anything it sounds worse! Both roads have refuge areas (laybys or bays) at least. But one road isnt being heavily monitored, with signage.

Edited by HeHasRisen