Doctors Appointments. Is This True

The situation is that I have received a letter in late March asking me to make an appointment for an annual review.

The review itself is 3 months later than when it was due.

Anyway I have been ringing 4 days a week from. 8.30 a.m  with the following results.

1) Constantly engaged

2) Message to say all appointments for that day are taken

3) Most frustrating .... You are number 12 or whatever in the queue (success) and then the call is ended when you get down to number 4 in the queue.

However I then decided to call at the surgery to state the problem and to make an appointment in person.

The receptionist told me that this was not possible “Due to a Government instruction applicable from April” and that there was absolutely no alternative but to persist with the daily calls.

I have found an NHS site regarding appointments and can only see that a number of appointments are reserved for daily appointments,but other appointments may be made by calling at the surgery or by an App if available.

I would like to pursue this .

Is there anyone on the Forum that can give me a definitive policy please.

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

The situation is that I have received a letter in late March asking me to make an appointment for an annual review.

Anyway I have been ringing 4 days a week from. 8.30 a.m  with the following results.

1) Constantly engaged

3) Most frustrating .... You are number 12 or whatever in the queue (success) and then the call is ended when you get down to number 4 in the queue.

However I then decided to call at the surgery to state the problem and to make an appointment in person.

The receptionist told me that this was not possible “Due to a Government instruction applicable from April” and that there was absolutely no alternative but to persist with the daily calls.

I have found an NHS site regarding appointments and can only see that a number of appointments are reserved for daily appointments,but other appointments may be made by calling at the surgery or by an App if available.

Them receptionists though mate. If they told me the Sun would rise in the morning I'd set my alarm to check. They're all private businesses now (I think) that wish to run the service for their own interests. They'll tell you anything to excuse their poor service. The receptionists are just there to take the flack  the Doctors, they'll say anything to try and excuse their poor service.

• Like 3

The receptionists hold the power and it's disgraceful.

Last year I needed a repeat prescription for a condition I have ( cluster headaches) but was told that because I hadn't seen a doctor for two years this was impossible unless I had a new appointment to renew my prescription.  The next available appointment was 3 weeks, by which time my  head attacks had stopped so I had to suffer without my pills.

3 weeks ago, my attacks started again so I rang my doctors, explained my situation and she said.

" No problem I will order you a repeat prescription"

It's farcical.

They make it up as they go.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RJRB said:

1) Constantly engaged

I personally would be asking to see written proof of that claim - sounds very bogus to me.

I had my annual check-up in March - text message asking me to call, visit the surgery or use a provided link to book. For coninience I used the link.

Just now, Al Bundy said:

The receptionists hold the power and it's disgraceful.

Last year I needed a repeat prescription for a condition I have ( cluster headaches) but was told that because I hadn't seen a doctor for two years this was impossible unless I had a new appointment to renew my prescription.  The next available appointment was 3 weeks, by which time my  head attacks had stopped so I had to suffer without my pills.

3 weeks ago, my attacks started again so I rang my doctors, explained my situation and she said.

" No problem I will order you a repeat prescription"

It's farcical.

They make it up as they go.

They do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I personally would be asking to see written proof of that claim - sounds very bogus to me.

I had my annual check-up in March - text message asking me to call, visit the surgery or use a provided link to book. For coninience I used the link.

They do.

Thanks for the replies.

I will be doing that  once I am sure that the receptionist is not being truthful.

However trying to talk sense to a single receptionist locked behind a glass screen was not the easiest of conversations.

This is only a routine visit but presumably it would be bigger issue if there was a more pressing requirement for a consultation.

Edited by RJRB

1 minute ago, RJRB said:

Thanks for the replies.

I will be doing that  once I am sure that the receptionist is not being truthful.

However trying to talk sense to a single receptionist locked behind a glass screen was not the easiest of conversations.

This is only a routine visit but presumably it would be bigger issue if there was a more pressing requirement for a consultation.

I know what you mean about receptionists and talking sense. If there was a more pressing need for a visit, they should contact you directly - at my surgery, that is usually via text message  or phone call.

Our doctors now have an online form to fill in which I find is a breach of confidentiality.  For a start you have to explain what your problem is, surely this should be between your doctor and yourself, not for anybody else to know.  If you are unable (for some reason) to not manage the form, the receptionist will help you, therefore knowing what your problem is.  I find this unacceptable

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

@RollingJ

But what if it is your pressing need rather than the surgery?

Obviously not for a major issue where 101 or 999 might be required.

The underlined needs clarifying - If this was true, there should be clear guidance on the NHS website.